Thoughts on frame rust ?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

kev1n

Thoughts on frame rust ?

Postby kev1n » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:34 pm

What are the best ways to prevent frame rust/ fix ? I started looking at my under carriage by the spare tire area and I saw little spots of rust here and there on the frame and control arms. The car is in the NE and been outside most of its 44k life so its inevitable. What can I do to combat these spots? Is there something I can spray on directly to those spots to seal them ?

Npath

Re: Thoughts on frame rust ?

Postby Npath » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:44 pm

kev1n wrote:What are the best ways to prevent frame rust/ fix ? I started looking at my under carriage by the spare tire area and I saw little spots of rust here and there on the frame and control arms. The car is in the NE and been outside most of its 44k life so its inevitable. What can I do to combat these spots? Is there something I can spray on directly to those spots to seal them ?
You may want to try a product that's been in the US for quite some time. I can't get any in Canada, but you may want to try the product.

I haven't been to their website in years as I don't need the product anymore. Look for POR-15 in your search engine and it should immediately be found.

The product is pricey and would consider it since you live in the New England area?

Other than that... sand paper, primer and some good rust paint.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:25 pm

I also live in NE and have been noticing the same effects of all the salt on the roads. While it may not hurt anything aside from cosmetic standpoint, i find it a bit annoying. While sanding and priming as well as spending time and money to get rid of minor rust is not something I'm willing to do (frankly sanding all the little nooks and crevices where rust shows is not even possible). I have tried using rust inhibitors that come on the spray can and can be purchased at most auto stores. It goes on like a paint and has a matte finish. It can be applied in rusty surface as long as it is dry and clean of dirt. Works pretty well for me.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:50 pm

slavabon wrote:I also live in NE and have been noticing the same effects of all the salt on the roads. While it may not hurt anything aside from cosmetic standpoint, i find it a bit annoying. While sanding and priming as well as spending time and money to get rid of minor rust is not something I'm willing to do (frankly sanding all the little nooks and crevices where rust shows is not even possible). I have tried using rust inhibitors that come on the spray can and can be purchased at most auto stores. It goes on like a paint and has a matte finish. It can be applied in rusty surface as long as it is dry and clean of dirt. Works pretty well for me.
what brand of spray type stuff did you use ? I looked at the POR15 website and I was thinking about getting the kind I could apply with a brush.

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:40 pm

You could try Tremclad rust paint.

I've used Hammerite and it works very good. Doesn't chip, flake or wear off.

I painted up some 1/4" metal plate and all I did was sand off the surface rust, cleaned it with paint thinner and applied 2 coats of Hammerite. The Hammerite I used produces a textured surface.

The plate was used as a rocker panel guard for my Jeep cj7.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:59 am

thanks for the tips fella's

I was looking into these products and it looks like POR15 would be the easiest to apply, it appears no prep work is required for it, just paint it right onto the rusted areas ( as long as they are clean)

I don't want to g and have to sand stuff, I would rather brush over it.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Good luck, Kev1n. I'm sure you will be happier once it looks nice and black again. Does that stuff come in a spray version? I think rolling around under the truck trying to reach all the spots with a brush will be lots of work, but at least you will get a thicker coat on it. Spray is easier to apply, but its much thinner. Either way, rust needs to be gone!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:19 am

I'm in Manitoba Canada, lots of salt used in winter here.

The downfall of a darker color on your pathy is that rust will be harder to see in its early stages. Thats just on the body panels. I've already identified several areas where rust has started.

As far as on the frame? I generally don't worry about it too much. If I can't see it, its not there! :) Just kidding. would be good to keep an eye on it. I know a guy from the honda forum. He's in ontario, and he uses that black goop on the underside of his acura integra. Has like 500k kms on it.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”