Extended Warranty Statistics

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:57 pm

My dealer originally offered me the extended warranty at around $1400 or so. After that didn't get him anywhere, he dropped it to $800. I was tempted, but I also knew I could buy an extension anytime before my 36 months was up, long enough to know if I might need the warranty or not.

There are a few Nissan dealerships that offer the Gold & Silver warranties online & not too badly priced either. Here's one: http://nissanwarrantystore.com/pathfind ... -10-11-12/

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:47 pm

08 pathy wrote: If I remember right it was about $1600.00. But it was spread out into my car payments so it was only a few bucks extra a month.
So you paid $1600 for the warranty and $98 at the time of repair (total $1698) versus paying $1400 at the time of repair. So it still has about $300 until it pays for itself? How many miles are left?

08 pathy wrote: Fuel cap once
fuel filler neck and cap once
one tpms
one rear wiper motor
one shifter assembly
some kind of transmission solenoid
Now I have rust in my rain channels.

I think I got a bad one :lol:
Ouch! With the track record so far, I'd buy the extended warranty.

08 pathy

Postby 08 pathy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:22 am

AZ_Path wrote:So you paid $1600 for the warranty and $98 at the time of repair (total $1698) versus paying $1400 at the time of repair. So it still has about $300 until it pays for itself? How many miles are left?
Yeah but the good thing is I didn't have to take the "lump some" of $1400.00 out of pocket... the warranty is good till 120k and I have about 70k on it now. But I will probably be going in this week for what I think is a bad #3 coil. :lol:

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:07 am

bought it and it was piss off of money.

dmasini

Postby dmasini » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Not a big fan or the extended warrenty but I got it for mine for the simple reason that if anything happened to the LCD, hard drive that powers the GPS or anything else related to the electronics in the vehicle I can only image what the cost would be to replace it out of pocket.

Mikesan

I did on our 2010

Postby Mikesan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Bought a warranty on our 2010 SE with Journey package. Added 2 years and 24K miles to the bumper to bumper warranty for $695 with $0 deductible to take me to 5/60. Dealer Nissan warranty. I normally don't get the extended warranty but with all the electronics and for less than $700 it seemed like a good deal to me. I'm worry free until Jan 2015. The best way to get that is to go in politely and tell the finance guy you don't want any extras. Keep talking and make them work a bit and they will come down. It would have been $895, but because I bought a new Nissan before he said they had an extra $200 to play with. In addition, if I sell the car before the 3/36 expires I get a prorated amount back from Nissan if I ask for it. But it would likely be better to keep it as it would be a lot easier to sell a 40,000 mile car if it still had 20,000 miles of warranty left.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:17 am

you should usually always buy warranty outside of dealership. this is NOT spam but have a read on warrantydirect.com. their warranties cover wear & tear & mechanical failures. usually, many warranties only cover one of those 2. just my Image

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:24 am

webmastir wrote:you should usually always buy warranty outside of dealership. this is NOT spam but have a read on warrantydirect.com. their warranties cover wear & tear & mechanical failures. usually, many warranties only cover one of those 2. just my Image
I just plugged in my info for a quote. Insanely expensive. Far, far, far more than an actual Nissan extended warranty purchased through a Nissan dealer.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:07 am

NVSteve wrote:
webmastir wrote:you should usually always buy warranty outside of dealership. this is NOT spam but have a read on warrantydirect.com. their warranties cover wear & tear & mechanical failures. usually, many warranties only cover one of those 2. just my Image
I just plugged in my info for a quote. Insanely expensive. Far, far, far more than an actual Nissan extended warranty purchased through a Nissan dealer.
well you gotta remember what your nissan dealer is covering. they will try & screw you out of what is & what isn't covered. warrantydirect(just for instance) is very well-known for very few warrant disputes. i dunno. it was just my suggestion i guess. it'll always vary isuppose

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:21 am

me&pathy wrote:bought it and it was piss off of money.
Care to elaborate? Does this mean you bought it, but never needed it? Or you bought it, but Nissan somehow wiggled out of covering your issues?

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 am

webmastir wrote:their warranties cover wear & tear & mechanical failures.
What do you mean by wear & tear? Are they going to pay for items that are expected to wear out like tires? What will they cover that Nissan won't?

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:39 am

i could summarize, but here's a pretty straight forward answer, IMO.

"Classic wear and tear failures include: the gradual reduction in operating performance, burned/worn valves/guides, valve grinding, worn rings, burned pistons, any covered part that has not failed this includes seepage of seals and gaskets, fasteners and retainers (nuts, bolts, screws, clamps, brackets), damage caused by overheating.

You want both "wear & tear" AND "mechanical breakdown" coverage in your warranty contract. Many items wear down, they don't break, so they are not covered by most mechanical breakdown warranties. People complain that car dealers lie to them and tell them "everything" is covered, giving a false sense of security. Hell, some car dealer warranties require that you have them do all repairs. What if you can't get your car to the dealer? Before buying a vehicle service contract, carefully review what is covered and not covered to see whether wear and tear claims are excluded from coverage. If you don't get a wear and tear type of warranty, you'll get screwed I guarantee it."

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:33 am

Okay, that makes sense. So an oil leak would not be covered by Nissan, but would be by warrantydirect. I guess that's why there is such a cost difference. Thanks for the info.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:59 pm

From the Nissan Gold Preferred warranty:

MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN does not include damage due to negligence, damage caused by an accident, or the gradual reduction in operating performance due to wear and tear. In addition, this Agreement does not provide any benefit for any mechanical failure or breakdown caused by a non-covered part.

My quote from warrantydirect.com:

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:49 am

NVSteve wrote:From the Nissan Gold Preferred warranty:
Is there a deductible on the Nissan Gold?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”