Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
6%
Other
16%

Total votes: 31

Sven1olaf

A/T tire options

Postby Sven1olaf » Sun May 09, 2010 7:38 pm

I was just wondering what people think about the tires they are using. The BFG A/T KO's I have been using were good, in fact I was very pleased with them in virtually all conditions: highway, city, bad county highways, logging roads, snow and ice covered highways... EXCEPT for standing water conditions.

The lack of diversion channels to release water has led to some scary surprises at 80 mph.

I have about 37k on mine now, and the two rears are bald on the inside halves. It's weird because I have been rotating every 6k (cross fronts and move straight back) and taking care to ensure proper psi. The two fronts are in great shape, nice even wear, good tread depth, and minimal wobble. The only thing I can think of that destroyed the two rears so quickly is a botched alignment job!?!?

Anyway, I am in the market for an overall good performing A/T that can stand up to the incredibly varied North Dakota road conditions. I know that a few guys are running the Geolander A/T-S's and am wondering how they seem to be performing over time.

So far Tirerack lists the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's as the highest rank, with the Firestone Destination A/T's coming in second. The Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor's are rated pretty well also. (the BFG
A/T KO's come in 11th with the Geolanders coming in 10th).

I was leaning toward the Goodyear Silentarmors, but am now thinking about the Firestone Destinations.

Does anyone have any input on any of these tires? Given the cost of a full set and the amount of miles I put on any help I can get would be appreciated.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Sun May 09, 2010 9:15 pm

I too am in the market for new tires. My wife puts a lot of highway miles on it, so I'm going to put some good road tires on the stock 17" rims and get some dedicated off-road tires for a set of 16" American Racing Trench style wheels that I have.

I'm kinda leanin' towards Firestone Destination LE or AT for the street and something with an aggressive tread pattern that I can get for a decent price for off-road.

If you have not done so, check Craigslist. Some of the tires your looking at are stock take-offs on new trucks and can be purchased fairly cheap.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:38 am

Has anyone used the Michelin LTX A/T?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTi ... INT&cs=265

I've had better treadwear after switching to a Michelin tire. I currently have the Latitude touring but want to switch to more of an A/T tire when these wear out. I will say that the OEM tires (BFG's) and the Nitto Terra Grapplers wore out afte 20K miles.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: A/T tire options

Postby NVSteve » Mon May 10, 2010 7:26 am

Sven1olaf wrote: The lack of diversion channels to release water has led to some scary surprises at 80 mph.
Been there a number of times myself, which is pretty much the #1 reason I haven't had the BFG on my Pathfinder. I've also had problems with them in the snow before. I think the BFG is a good tire until you get to about half the tread depth remaining, then the performance pretty much goes away.

I've got the Revo, and they seem to be wearing better than my last set. One annoying thing with the Revo is that once the outer layers of rubber wear off (they are a softer compound), the layers underneath make a fair bit of noise on the roads. However, I haven't had any BFG-type problems in the rain or snow, and that's what counts.

I've heard good stuff about the rest of the tires you've mentioned. I doubt anyone could go wrong with any of them, except for the BFG.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Mon May 10, 2010 10:28 am

I always been a BFG A/T fan. I agree that with wet roads they are a down fall but if you like you can have them sipped at any Discount tire location. A bunch of people I know have them sipped and they act completly diffrent. I had a set of 35 BFG M/T that were horrable in the ran and had them sipped to help it completley changed the tire.

wht06pf

Postby wht06pf » Mon May 10, 2010 2:42 pm

We have the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S on ours. Good tire. Quiet but decent tread pattern

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Mon May 10, 2010 3:34 pm

I use the Yoko Geolander AT-S and love them, great in rain and the Pathy went through 20" of snow 2 yrs back in my area. Ride is smooth, and quiet. I will buy them again when these wear out.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Tue May 11, 2010 8:34 am

Dueler AT Revo's are Excellent, had them on my 93 and loved them. I highly recommend them

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue May 11, 2010 9:06 am

I do have to agree that Revo's 2 are nice tires. :D

I had a set of Michelins XTL M/S . I had major problem with them. They fell apart after 5k. I will never get a Michelins again.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 am

happy w/ my yoko geo A/T-S...played w/ them in desert and mtn conditions in NV, AZ, NM, and CO.

quiet on the road and so far so good off road. i previously had a set of yoko geo A/T II+ on a '92 4runner....they never let me down; hoping for the same quality out of these. different animals, but hopefully similar genetics

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm

BFG A/T fan here... nice flat and stable on the road. never had a problem on wet surfaces.

Elite130

Postby Elite130 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:38 pm

I swear by the Firestone Destination AT's. I had them on my Silverado and now have them on my Pathfinder. They are super quiet, have a great ride, do well in snow, and the wear is great. One interesting thing, the Firestone sales guys said the AT's rode better, are quieter, and last longer than the LE's. You can't go wrong with the Destination AT's, Revo 2's or the Geolander AT-s. They are all great tires. IMHO, I'd stay away from the BFG All-terrains, they aren't nearly as good as the other 3 tires.

yarilo

Postby yarilo » Thu May 13, 2010 2:29 am

My vote for BFG AT/T! However, guys here in Russia prefer to buy Geolanders in case you more often on-road then off-road. Yoka more silent and more highway tire but not that off-road capable, off course - no probs with rainy weather, but honestly I haven't had any problems with my BFG as well.

Max

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu May 13, 2010 8:10 am

yarilo wrote:My vote for BFG AT/T! However, guys here in Russia prefer to buy Geolanders in case you more often on-road then off-road. Yoka more silent and more highway tire but not that off-road capable, off course - no probs with rainy weather, but honestly I haven't had any problems with my BFG as well.

Max
curious to know where you have seen yoko's not to be capable off road? i've had mine for a couple years, played in many different conditions (except snow...) and have yet to have any problems.

BamaRed

Postby BamaRed » Fri May 14, 2010 11:50 am

Love my Pirelli Scorpion's...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”