4x4 warning light clarification

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Rumplestiltskin

4x4 warning light clarification

Postby Rumplestiltskin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:32 am

Hi

I have an Aventura diesel. The particular configuration of the 4x4 switch is 2WD, Auto, 4HI and 4LO.

I only recently bought the vehicle as my first experience with a proper 4x4. Previously I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT which was full-time unswitchable 4WD.

So I was on the road a few days back traveling at about 70mph, the conditions were fine. I had the mode in AUTO, which i assume would run at 2WD unless conditions were noticed to be severe enough for it to switch to 4wD (is this a wrong assumption). When after about 30 mins of travel, the warning light flashed slowly (according to the manual, this meaning that the rotation between front and rear it quite a large difference). I soon switched down to 2WD of course.

Is this normal? Was it complaining just due to the road surface being fine? I'd expect it to be in 2WD mode in this case, and it be intelligent enough to know not to switch into 4WD?

Just not sure if there is a problem with the drive, or if this is due to having AUTO set when it shouldnt be, on such type of roads.

Thanks for any help.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: 4x4 warning light clarification

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:00 am

Rumplestiltskin wrote:Hi

I have an Aventura diesel. The particular configuration of the 4x4 switch is 2WD, Auto, 4HI and 4LO.

I only recently bought the vehicle as my first experience with a proper 4x4. Previously I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT which was full-time unswitchable 4WD.

So I was on the road a few days back traveling at about 70mph, the conditions were fine. I had the mode in AUTO, which i assume would run at 2WD unless conditions were noticed to be severe enough for it to switch to 4wD (is this a wrong assumption). When after about 30 mins of travel, the warning light flashed slowly (according to the manual, this meaning that the rotation between front and rear it quite a large difference). I soon switched down to 2WD of course.

Is this normal? Was it complaining just due to the road surface being fine? I'd expect it to be in 2WD mode in this case, and it be intelligent enough to know not to switch into 4WD?

Just not sure if there is a problem with the drive, or if this is due to having AUTO set when it shouldnt be, on such type of roads.

Thanks for any help.
Sounds like you are doing things correctly.

Do you have different sized tires on the front and rear?

t

Rumplestiltskin

Postby Rumplestiltskin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 am

No all tyres are the same.

Someone mentioned if might be something with the diff. lock brakes?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”