fuel injection treatment service from dealer

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mtbpath

fuel injection treatment service from dealer

Postby mtbpath » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:05 pm

Sorry if this topic was covered. couldn't find the thread.
well, hopefully you all know what I am talking about.
the dealer offer this $125 fuel injection treatment service.
my question is. is it worth it? will it help?yes/no.
background on the Path, this month is 2 years and only 17K miles. its not a daily driven car.
I tend to stay away from it because most people would say its not necesarry, its a way for dealer to make more money, etc.
I am asking the Pathfinder crew, you all what you think.
I go in this Friday for service.
thanks.

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:44 pm

I always wonder if it's the same than those little bottles of fuel injectors cleaner they sell for $8 at pepboys.

I'd like to know as well.

EZ lube offers the same service for 80 dollars I believe

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:33 am

If it's the service where they remove each injector and use the machine to clean and flow test them and test/flush/clean the rest of the fuel system then the $125 could be well spent. But its kinda like an oil analysis to me. The first one you do is most likely going to be too early or too late and you need to hope the dealer tells you the truth about the condition of the injectors once the cleaning is over. 17k and 2 years, I personally wouldn't think it would be required. Maybe 5yrs or 50k but it all depends on gas grade and quality also.

The only thing I would be concerned about is trusting the dealer to say "nope, your injectors were in excellent shape so you just wasted $125" when they most likely will say "damn good thing you did it just now, your injectors were clogged as all get out" so they burn in your brain that this is required service.

But its your vehicle and I don't think you can do too much preventative maintenance. :) Hell, I just dropped $160~ on PM stuff at the dealer yesterday for things normal people wouldn't ever touch (fluids) but people like us think about.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:21 am

I wouldn't do it till at least 40 or 50k. You don't have enough miles to justify doing that.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:09 pm

No No No ..... dont give in ....its just the dealers way of taking your money ......

I have over 190K on my Altima , never had the injectors touched , runs just as new , had 80K on the Frontier when I sold it , ran as new , I work on Japanese cars , rarely do you see a clogged injector, sometimes they go bad, some vehicles ( Toyota ) have been known to plug up , but even an injector service wont fix them .... Nissan had a TSB a few years back about not doing cleaning on injectors, it would cause them to go bad ... then all of a sudden , once the dealers started selling " injector services" the TSB disappeared .....

Just use quality gas, and you shouldnt have any issues ... I have never seen any problems with the new style injectors .....

Nissan doesnt call for in in any service ... its just a dealer thing .... and they are all doing it !!!

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:55 pm

NAKA24DE wrote:No No No ..... dont give in ....its just the dealers way of taking your money ......

I have over 190K on my Altima , never had the injectors touched , runs just as new , had 80K on the Frontier when I sold it , ran as new , I work on Japanese cars , rarely do you see a clogged injector, sometimes they go bad, some vehicles ( Toyota ) have been known to plug up , but even an injector service wont fix them .... Nissan had a TSB a few years back about not doing cleaning on injectors, it would cause them to go bad ... then all of a sudden , once the dealers started selling " injector services" the TSB disappeared .....

Just use quality gas, and you shouldnt have any issues ... I have never seen any problems with the new style injectors .....

Nissan doesnt call for in in any service ... its just a dealer thing .... and they are all doing it !!!
Definately!!! My first car was a 93' Altima, and had this done. It ruined at least one of my injectors, and I was quickly getting 9mpg out of my KA24. After doing this, I also learned about the TSB. At the time, Nissan was clearly saying DO NOT get this done (as mentioned above).

While I find it less likely for the dealer to hose up your truck, I'd definately stay away from any store bought, or Jiffy Lube service. If you decide to do it, definately get it done at the dealer, in case you have injector problems later on down the line. IMO though, I'd stay away.

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:01 pm

good to know. thanks.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”