Idler Pulley problems please help!!!!

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

slimbear

Idler Pulley problems please help!!!!

Postby slimbear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:20 pm

I own a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder and recently had both drive belts changed. The mechanic did NOT tighten the idler pulley on tight enough and it literally fell off on the highway. I heard the noise and stopped and looked under the hood and saw just the bolt (the pulley was in the ditch somewhere). I went to O'reilly's and ordered a new idler pulley. When i went to install it i consulted the owner's manual which said the idler pulley should go UNDERNEATH the belt and induce tension by cranking it upwards. The problem is that O'reilly sold me a pulley that has groves (teeth) in it, which would cut marks into the top side of the belt from its pressure underneath. When i went back to O'reilly's they said that i should ignore the owner's manual and place the belt UNDERNEATH the pulley so that the grooves of the pulley fit in the grooves of the belt.

Is the owner's manual incorrect? Did O'reilly sell me the wrong pulley? This is far more headache than it should be...someone please help!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:02 pm

welcome to the forums, slimbear! :)
your post really belongs in: Study The Path/1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)
there it will receive the attention it needs to get you some help

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:17 am

Welcome to the forums!...... Triffid

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”