Dumb question here.... Which tires wear faster (4x4)?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

log

Dumb question here.... Which tires wear faster (4x4)?

Postby log » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Front or rear?

The rears never spin as VDC is on all the time.

I am thinking that the fronts would wear slightly faster because of the higher weight up front.... Either that or its 50/50.

Anyways what have you guys noticed?

Thanks for the input.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:18 pm

ur supposed to rotate ur tyres every 10k to avoid this.

off my head, id say the front ones cause they turn, unlike the rear straight drive ones. assuming all are aligned of course.

depends on too many things though.
do u mostly drive downhill and curvy roads, or straight roads. traffic, braking conditions....

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:26 am

I don't generally rotate my tires on a RWD vehicle. They tend to wear fairly evenly assuming alignment is good. If I have time and/or have the tires/wheels off for some other reason I will do it. But IMHO if you are paying someone to rotate them you're wasting money on a RWD. I'm at 33k miles at the moment on the OEM tires and they're almost dead even on wear. Never been rotated. Fronts have slightly more wear on outside edges but not much. The majority of my driving now is out two-lane curvy state routes so that probably explains the extra wear on the edges. I'm going to replace them before winter as they're just getting too thin for my taste.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:23 am

you have to get a tire with a high tread wear 420 or better. i rotate every oil change to get the most life out of my tires. by me doing so my tires hardly show any real wearing. the only time i change them is when they get old and start to make noise. enen then thet still show an amazing amount of tread life left.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:56 am

Lets not get beyond physics here....rotating does NOT make your tires wear less. It simply can make them wear more evenly which can extend their lives. How much they wear is more a factor of how and where you drive. When I was running my previous trucks all highway I could get 80k miles out of a set of tires and rarely if ever rotate them. Now that I'm driving all curvy two-laners I rarely get 30k miles out of a set regardless of rotating.

There are quite a few experts that really don't find much value in rotating tires. Spending $15 a pop to rotate can add up quickly.

log

Postby log » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:22 am

Thanks for the input guys.

I have rotated the tires previously, but currently the fronts have a little more tread than the rears, so I am leaving them as is for a while to balance them out.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:26 am

skinny2 wrote:It simply can make them wear more evenly which can extend their lives.
Exactly. If one doesn't rotate, then either the front or rear (depending on vehicle) will wear faster, leading to 2 tires with no tread & 2 tires with (much) more tread. Not to mention a vehicle that is overloaded, tires under or over inflated, suspension out of whack, etc. I've seen my fair share of tires on vehicles that were never rotated & there is no way I'd ever not rotate them.
There are quite a few experts that really don't find much value in rotating tires.
Experts? Is weed involved? :?

Spending $15 a pop to rotate can add up quickly.
Unless:
1. One rotates their tires themselves.
2. One purchases them from a store with lifetime (of the tire) rotation, balance & road repair.
3. etc.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:51 am

There may have been weed...but it got me thinking that those rotations add up if you're someone that has to pay for that service. Figure $135 over 50k miles...on a set of $600 tires. Are you going to extend their life by 23%?

Tire warranties are damn near useless to me because I'll never run the tire to the point it's "worn out" by tire manufacturer standards. We have 60k miles tires on the Ody and they likely have 30k on them at this point and are around 5/32nds. I'm not going to risk life/limb just to get a prorated discount. PF is down to 6/32nds at 33k on OEM's and they're already getting thrown around in standing water. They've worn very evenly though and I don't think rotating would have helped. They're a little worn on front edges but centers are too far gone to suit me anyway.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”