Hard 3rd gear shifting

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Budrbean

Hard 3rd gear shifting

Postby Budrbean » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:08 am

Ok, so I had my rebuilt transmission put in a few weeks ago. If I am light on the throttle, it shifts into 3rd gear with a pretty hard hit. However, if I am heavier on the throttle (and when still cold), its shifts smoother into 3rd but seems like it has a slight hesitation to shift. Its not slipping because there is no change in RPM and is not building any heat. All the other gears shift fine. Any idea what could cause this?

I took it back to the shop and the guy suggested I drive it for a little while and see if its something that the PCM will work out on its own. Admittedly it has seemed to get a little better since the first day I drove it. But I would think that two weeks and a few hundred miles would be time enough for the PCM to do its learning procedure.

Either way, its warranted for another 11,000 miles or so....so not really sweating it and if it continues, will definitely demand it fixed before warranty expires.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Hard 3rd gear shifting

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:22 am

Budrbean wrote:Ok, so I had my rebuilt transmission put in a few weeks ago. If I am light on the throttle, it shifts into 3rd gear with a pretty hard hit. However, if I am heavier on the throttle (and when still cold), its shifts smoother into 3rd but seems like it has a slight hesitation to shift. Its not slipping because there is no change in RPM and is not building any heat. All the other gears shift fine. Any idea what could cause this?
No idea whatsoever, but I had to post because I've experienced the opposite with mine. When I drive off in the morning, typically anytime the mercury goes below 40F, mine shifts really hard into 3rd. But, if I granny it, it will shift without a hitch. The problem goes away within minutes, probably when the trans fluid hits a certain temp. I've learned to live with mine. I've dropped it off to the dealer twice to have them check it, but each time the outside temps were too high and/or they had it sitting in the sun too long.

Budrbean

Re: Hard 3rd gear shifting

Postby Budrbean » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:11 am

NVSteve wrote:
Budrbean wrote:Ok, so I had my rebuilt transmission put in a few weeks ago. If I am light on the throttle, it shifts into 3rd gear with a pretty hard hit. However, if I am heavier on the throttle (and when still cold), its shifts smoother into 3rd but seems like it has a slight hesitation to shift. Its not slipping because there is no change in RPM and is not building any heat. All the other gears shift fine. Any idea what could cause this?
No idea whatsoever, but I had to post because I've experienced the opposite with mine. When I drive off in the morning, typically anytime the mercury goes below 40F, mine shifts really hard into 3rd. But, if I granny it, it will shift without a hitch. The problem goes away within minutes, probably when the trans fluid hits a certain temp. I've learned to live with mine. I've dropped it off to the dealer twice to have them check it, but each time the outside temps were too high and/or they had it sitting in the sun too long.
Its funny how the dealer can never duplicate the problem. I think if they are busy, they just let it sit in the back for a while then call and tell you they couldnt find anything wrong.

4x2

Postby 4x2 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Make sure the atf fluid is topped off.
My transmission sometimes shift hard, and when I changed the fluid, discovered it was a bit low, and the problem went away after filling it to the correct level.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”