Noise in drivetrain

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Green

Noise in drivetrain

Postby Green » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:46 am

Hey all. I have a 2005 SE with 77K. When I start off in drive and get to about 10 MPH I hear a metalic clunk or ping coming from the drivetrain. It doesn't matter if I have to back out of a parking space and then go forward or just go forward, the same ping. The Pathy is my first 4X4 so I'm wondering if this is normal to have this wierd noise occur with the extra drive equipment. I rarely use the 4X4 BTW, only in Moab :) . Is this something I should be worried about?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Noise in drivetrain

Postby NVSteve » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:58 am

Green wrote:Hey all. I have a 2005 SE with 77K. When I start off in drive and get to about 10 MPH I hear a metalic clunk or ping coming from the drivetrain. It doesn't matter if I have to back out of a parking space and then go forward or just go forward, the same ping. The Pathy is my first 4X4 so I'm wondering if this is normal to have this wierd noise occur with the extra drive equipment. I rarely use the 4X4 BTW, only in Moab :) . Is this something I should be worried about?
First off, welcome to the forum. Second, it's good to see a fellow resident of SLC on here. I take it you recently purchased your Pathfinder? Once you turn on the engine & drive it up to 12mph, you'll hear a ping from underneath. No worries, that's completely normal. It's the brakes and/or the vdc. Most of us hear it (mine is loud), but a few people don't hear it at all. You'll hear this only once until you turn off the ignition, meaning that when you drive from 0-12mph over and over during the same ignition sequence, you won't hear it again.

Green

Postby Green » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks Steve, I'm glad I'm not alone. We bought it about 2 years ago and have been mostly happy with it so far. We've taken it off road a couple times and had a blast. Drove the Shaeffer Trial from Potash to Canyonlands last spring but haven't done much else since, just little drives here and there. I notice that there have been some Pathfinder gatherings locally in the past, if there are any in the future let me know.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Green wrote:I notice that there have been some Pathfinder gatherings locally in the past, if there are any in the future let me know.
Sure thing. The only problem we've had is that everyone is kind of scattered all over the place, so it has to be a middle ground everyone can get to.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”