96 Path - Harmonic Balancer movement normal???

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

axalott

96 Path - Harmonic Balancer movement normal???

Postby axalott » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:48 am

96 Pathfinder LE
140K Miles

Here’s the situation.
My brother bought this car last year and he bought it with this squalling noise coming from the belts/wheels so I figured I would make some time and see where this noise is exactly coming from.

First, I changed both of the tensioners and belts hoping that the noise would go away but I was wrong. When I took a closer look I see that the harmonic balance moves in towards the engine when acceleration occurs and the noise is definitely coming from the balancer. I can actually push it in with two fingers and when pushed in by hand it has this grinding noise. I know something seems odd and the grinding should not be present but the movement in and out of the engine.. Is that normal? Please help, I’m planning to replace the balance tomorrow but before I do I wanna make sure Im not missing anything. Appreciate any advise.

Thanks

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:11 pm

nope. not normal.
the rubber ring has seperated. Use a proper puller, clean the holes with a chaser before threading the bolts in. You will get ONE chance. Thread them in as far as you can (just touch the back timing cover). It helps if you soak the crank snout after pulling the main bolt out. Don't drop the key when you pull the dampener. Never-seize the new one so it doesn't seperate when you go to do your t-belt next.

Jerrydog

Postby Jerrydog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 am

Very common when a shop or individual uses a puller on the outside of the HB to remove it. It will tear the rubber loose and it squeels as it slips under load later on. My friends pathfinder did this. Buy a new HB from nissan and have it installed.

axalott

Postby axalott » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 am

Yes, already replaced and the crazy squeal is gone. The car has never been worked on my a garage, the noise started few years ago and got louder and louder. When I try pulling off it fell apart, that’s how bad it was. I guess I got lucky it didn’t fly off why driving. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone with the same situation change the balance, world of difference…

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”