Climate Control at Start

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

gamerscloset

Climate Control at Start

Postby gamerscloset » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Hey all! I'm hoping one of you fellow pathfinder owners can help me out. I noticed that when I start the vehicle the climate control isn't turned on. I have it on when I turn off the vehicle but when I turn off the vehicle and back on the climate control doesn't come back on. Instead of getting heat I get cold air out of the vents until I turn climate control on.

I also noticed that when I do turn on climate control the A/C always turns on. It's the middle of Winter here in Minnesota and I don't need A/C. Not sure if it even matters if that's on or not.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? I was hoping maybe there was a setting somewhere for keeping climate control on but so far i haven't found it. I have a remote starter installed and this is a problem since the inside doesn't get warmed up.

Thanks,
Shay

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Wen then system is off you will get airflow from fresh outdoor air. Since it is cold outside you are getting cold outside air. If you don't want the airflow you need to take it off outside air and put it on Recirculate.
The fact that the air conditioning is on is completely normal. In the winter cars will activate the air conditioning anytime it is in a Defrost Mode. Just like in the summer....air conditioning takes out moisture out of the air. In the winter it takes the moist air from your breathing and any frost that may be on the windows. All cars will turn on the air conditioning(in defrost mode) but not cars will show you that it is on. Trust me...if you have lots of people in the car or it is pretty frosty inside on the windows.....keep it on. I usually turn mine off if I am alone in the car and it is all cleared up.

This info will probably be in the owners manual too if you want a different explanation.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:36 am

the climate control works differently than the normal A/C mode.
It regulates the air flow, and measures the temp using sensors. one of these sensors is just in front of your right knee when ur in the car.

the A/C light on doesnt necessarily mean that cold air is being blown, but the compressor might be needed to moderate the air if the temp gets hotter than the value u set.

i dont think there is an option to get climate control to turn on automatically.
in the Viper starter systems, you can program which items turn on and off when u use the remote starter. check if that option is available on ur remote, or can be programmed into it.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 am

gamerscloset -

What year is your PF? I have an '06, and if your climate control system is the same as mine, it's operating normally. In "Auto" mode during cold weather, the system doesn't come on until the engine begins to warm, so that it blows warm air instead of cold. On mine, at least, you can see the fan speed graphic begin to rise as engine temperature increases.

Also, even though the display shows "AC," the compressor isn't necessarily engaged. It simply indicates that the system is set in "AC" mode. Whether the compressor engages depends on the climatic factors being sensed by the system. At least that's the way I think it works.
Pages 4-21 through 4-24 in my owners manual has the down and dirty on it.

If you have manually selected any mode or than "Auto," that might be causing issues with when and how the system functions. I leave mine on full "Auto" and "AC" mode year round, 73 degrees on both sides, and it works perfectly. That is, it did until it blew out the fan speed control module. Things got pretty wonky until I had it replaced.

gamerscloset

Postby gamerscloset » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:01 am

SilverGhost, it's a 2010 Pathfinder. The problem is I'm selecting "Auto" but it's not sticking to "Auto" when you restart the vehicle.

mar1, I'll ask about that, thanks.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:15 am

My climate control is always on the setting it was when I last shut down. It starts out on window defrost and after a few minutes it goes to legs.

t

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:28 am

disallow wrote:My climate control is always on the setting it was when I last shut down.
Same here.

gamerscloset

Postby gamerscloset » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:47 am

I didn't pay attention to what was going on until after I had a car starter installed. Perhaps it's the car starter that's the cause of the problem? It's odd though if it is because when I start the car with the key the climate control still doesn't come on.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:06 am

gamerscloset wrote:I didn't pay attention to what was going on until after I had a car starter installed. Perhaps it's the car starter that's the cause of the problem? It's odd though if it is because when I start the car with the key the climate control still doesn't come on.
I have a Prostart 2-way installed on mine. I notice that the dash lights for the climate control don't come on until I put in the key, but the controls all work and the LCD display for the temp and fan status are all working.

If they wired it up right, it shouldn't be an issue. Where did you have it put in?

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”