n00b with a few questions

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

00void

n00b with a few questions

Postby 00void » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:52 pm

i just got an '08 SE V8 about a month ago and had a few questions. before i get flamed, i tried searching for answers but came up short. that said:

1. i want to put replace my fog bulbs with yellow bulbs as i like the look. before i took delivery of my truck i downloaded the full users manual and saw that to access/change the bulbs is not an 'owner friendly application' or however they worded it. true enough, i see what they mean as i don't see anywhere i can get my hands in anywhere to swap the bulbs. i really don't (and won't) want to bring it to a stealership to have it done. that said, is it easy to do? i'm assuming i'll have to unscrew the panels on the inside of the wheel well.

2. is there a safari bull bar that fits an '08? i can't stand how dismal the brights are on the truck and want to get a bull bar with a pair of Hella 500s. i searched the Westin site but they only had the safari bull bar that fit up to '04s. i'll have to ping their site with more detail, but are there any brands to stay away from if Westin doesn't have the right application for the truck?

any help would be greatly appreciated. i just ordered WeatherTech floor liners today and want to get the safari bar before March if possible.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:00 pm

You can find brush guards at 4x4parts.com or a few of the other guys on here have gotten different ones. I think Carl (RacerZX) has a little push bar that you can mount lights too. I think one person replaced their fogs on here a while back. Maybe Blink32. Hope this helps.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: n00b with a few questions

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:48 pm

00void wrote: 2. is there a safari bull bar that fits an '08? i can't stand how dismal the brights are on the truck and want to get a bull bar with a pair of Hella 500s. i searched the Westin site but they only had the safari bull bar that fit up to '04s. i'll have to ping their site with more detail, but are there any brands to stay away from if Westin doesn't have the right application for the truck?
ARB, but it won't be cheap by any means. I still haven't seen it on ARBusa.com, but I'm sure that it can be ordered. Have a look on this forum if you want to see more accessories than you'll ever see here in the States: http://www.pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=90

If you can manage with just a simple bull bar, Westin does have one:

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products.as ... ctId=85041

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:38 am

That ARB winch bumper is around $1000... thats a no cheap. I was thinking about getting one till I found that out.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:49 am

I did change out my fogs and headlights. The fogs weren't impossible, but you have to reach. I honestly don't remember what I had to do but I do remember it was mostly by feel as I couldn't see what I was doing. I might have needed to undo the front inner fender liner a little bit. Maybe even drop the front skid plate.

If you just get under there and look around for a few minutes you'll figure it out.

00void

Postby 00void » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:40 am

thanx for everyone's help, it's much appreciated!

when i have some free time one weekend, i'm gonna poke around some with the fogs.

and thanx for the link on the bull bar. not so sure i like it with the skid plate but at this point, beggars can't be choosers. maybe i can install it w/out the plate too.

thanx again guys.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:11 am

00void wrote:and thanx for the link on the bull bar. not so sure i like it with the skid plate but at this point, beggars can't be choosers. maybe i can install it w/out the plate too.
I just can't tell how low the bar would hang, or how far out it would stick. The tiny little photos at the bottom of the link makes it look like the bar is part of the vehicle, but I doubt that it fits that well. If you get one, please post some large pictures here. I'd get one, but I'm not going to do it blindly and end up having to send it back if it doesn't fit right.

00void

Postby 00void » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:20 am

NVSteve wrote:
00void wrote:and thanx for the link on the bull bar. not so sure i like it with the skid plate but at this point, beggars can't be choosers. maybe i can install it w/out the plate too.
I just can't tell how low the bar would hang, or how far out it would stick. The tiny little photos at the bottom of the link makes it look like the bar is part of the vehicle, but I doubt that it fits that well. If you get one, please post some large pictures here. I'd get one, but I'm not going to do it blindly and end up having to send it back if it doesn't fit right.
i'm still in limbo with it. i went to Westin's site and they make the Ultimate Bull Bar for '08s which is cool until i read the two accompanying foot notes:

Minor trimming of lower air dam may be required.
+
If equipped with tow hooks, they must be removed to complete installation.

i don't really care about the tow hooks, but i'm not into trimming anything. i'm horrible with that type of stuff and don't want to take the chance of screwing something up.

as a temporary solution i just ordered a new pair of Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's from Amazon which came with a $10 rebate and free shipping. total is $30 after rebate. hopefully the bulbs will help more than what's in there now.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:28 am

00void wrote: Minor trimming of lower air dam may be required.

i don't really care about the tow hooks, but i'm not into trimming anything. i'm horrible with that type of stuff and don't want to take the chance of screwing something up.

as a temporary solution i just ordered a new pair of Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's from Amazon which came with a $10 rebate and free shipping. total is $30 after rebate. hopefully the bulbs will help more than what's in there now.
Don't worry "too" much about the trimming. If your front air dam is anything like that on the 06 LE (may be the same on all models) the only trimming you are doing is cutting out a circular pattern in the bottom of the dam. If you go out there and look you will see what I mean. On one side (the drivers?) the circle is already removed for you(all models) and the tow hook is installed (on off-road models). In the other side the circle was left in place and no tow hook exists. And the circle is very well defined and sunken in. No need for templates or anything as it is pretty much self-guiding.

I installed Sylvania Silverstars also (not sure if they were ultra's though at this point) and there was a difference but not that much really. Especially compared to the wifes Murano and her Xenon's :-/

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:20 am

00void wrote: Minor trimming of lower air dam may be required.
+
If equipped with tow hooks, they must be removed to complete installation.

As blink mentioned, it really isn't that big of a deal. My tow hook is on the passenger side, but the driver's side is clearly marked. If you are hesitant about doing it, I'm sure someone you know could do it for you. You would only be trimming a piece of plastic, following an imprinted pattern.
One of the first things I did was throw some Silverstars in, but I honestly don't notice much of a difference either. Still looking for a better solution.

00void

Postby 00void » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:58 am

hmmm... i'll have to check this air dam thing during lunch. if it's already marked, then it shouldn't be a problem.

thanx for the opinions, etc.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 pm

xxx
Last edited by Gray on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:59 pm

xxx
Last edited by Gray on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:45 pm

xxx
Last edited by Gray on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:21 pm

How did they test it? Did they set up a bunch of crash test dummies along a street, then told the driver to go for it?

My biggest question is how sturdy these are. If I hit something in the past with metal bullbars, I might get a scratch or two on the paint. They do look interesting & I'm all about safety, but I just wonder if this compromises the driver's safety.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”