Update: Michelin LTX M/S2

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Update: Michelin LTX M/S2

Postby skinny2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:42 am

Performed a service on the PF this weekend and rotated the tires. I bought these in November and so far have been very pleased through 7k miles. Really makes the PF feel like more of a luxury vehicle. Very quiet, good ride, and solid feel all the way to warp speed. I drive some very hilly/curvy roads every day so handling is important and while these aren't high performance tires, they compliment the PF suspension very well.

While we haven't gotten pegged with deep snow this year, it's been a lot of 2-3" days and ice. Rarely use 4x4 with these even climbing steep hills. I don't think they'll do great in deep snow (say 8"+) but that's a rarity for us anyway. I had them in 6" and they did fine but 4x4 was needed. Very wet snow and ice is generally what we have to deal with.

As for wear...I've used about 1/32 since new. I have very slightly more wear on the rear middles which I will address with a psi adjustment. Assuming they wear consistent, that would get me to about 55,000 miles before I hit my limit of 4/32. I got 34k miles out of the OEM Generals so these look like they should be better pretty much by every characteristic short of price. My driving style is generally classified as "very aggressive" so I don't normally get much more than 30k from a set. We'll see what happens.

SilverGhost

Re: Update: Michelin LTX M/S2

Postby SilverGhost » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:01 pm

What skinny2 said.

As some of you who follow my irregular postings may have read, I recently cashed in a set of prematurely worn Michelin Cross Terrains for the MX2's.

I had hoped for better mileage . . . the C/T's only got 30K on 'em at 4/32's! I've only rolled up about 600 miles on the MX's, but already I can tell a big difference. They're a helluvalot stiffer than the CT's, owing in part to the additional tread ply (5 vs 4). I suspect that the sidewall is also stiffer, and the rubber compound harder. Still, I really like the way the MX's handle. The PF rides like a real truck now, as opposed to a minivan. Not a bad thing! Only time will tell if they outlast their predecessors.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 pm

I have almost 30K miles on my LTX's (or the Sears variant anyway) and love them. Still more than enough tread for snow and ice this winter; I think they'll go to 50K miles easily.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”