Anyone Replace Bose HU experience this?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

jlwardn

Anyone Replace Bose HU experience this?

Postby jlwardn » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:43 pm

I just removed my Bose HU and replaced it with a Touch Screen Nav Unit by Kenwood. I had this unit in my 2002 pathfinder and it was awesome. For some reason I think the quality of sound went down with the new HU. It does not have as good of highs or lows even when adjusted.....it also distorts way too quick. My Bose HU could go almost all the way up without any distortion. It was quite a bit louder and cleaner sounding. I really did not want to replace all of the speakers and factory amp.
The radio signal is now absolutely horrible. I hooked up the Diversity Antenna with the proper adaptor.

What am I missing?

It does look great though....

bwareheim

Postby bwareheim » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I have an 05 Pathy and installed a Kenwood touchscreen system with my Bose and I had no problems at all. Maybe go back in and make sure all your connections are secure.

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Everything is perfect. I am very careful with my installs. It is just not as clear. It distorts too quick and does not have the same highs and lows. It still sounds very good. I can't believe I'm going to say this.....I think it actually sounded better with the Bose head unit. I am sure the hard drive, nav, Bluetooth and touchscreen will make up for it.

bwareheim

Postby bwareheim » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 pm

You could be right because I cant really remember the Bose HU all to well since I didnt have it for too long. Mine still does sound really good and I couldnt be happier with the Kenwood.

The_David

Postby The_David » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:59 am

I just finished installing a pioneer HU in my 05 with Bose, and I would say it sounds better. Much better actually when I get to messing with the EQ

What harness did you use? I got my harness from crutchfield, but it is the same as this one on Amazon (link below). From the reviews there looks to be some problems, but they think it is because it is not grounded right. I can't say for sure i'm no professional.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Amplifier-I ... 823&sr=8-1

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:27 pm

I have the same one. It does sound good I just don't feel it is as clear as the factory Bose HU. All my connections are perfect. I just feel it is missing some sound. It distorts at 3/4 volume and the boss HU was louder and no distortion at 9/10 volume. I also think I lost some deeper bass that I cant get back even when playing with different EQ settings. I am still happy with replacing it since I now have tons of extra features.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:17 pm

Hey jlwardn

If signal distortion, maybe you need to replace the wires going to the amp with ones that have better shielding.

Love your sig, that's a really old nissan, circa 1886? :)

t

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Well I had to redo some things. I figured out that there is an antenna amp wire than needs to be hooked up. Now I have good radio reception. I also hooked up iPod cable/ iPod and also a 20 gig hard drive. Both now are very hidden an out of sight. During the first install I forgot the microphone for the bluetooth phone...got that done as well.
As for the less than perfect sound quality....I realized the radio had memorized setting. My old settings were for custom speakers and separate sub. Once I turned off sub settings...bass came back. I also canceled me crossover settings to the speakers. I now just pass 100% through deck and let the boss amp/system take over. It now sounds fuller.....deeper bass and I now can turn it way up with no distortion.
Now everyone is happy. I have my music on the hard drive. My wife has her music on the iPod.....and both phone can synch to Bluetooth.
In the future I will add back up camera and maybe a separate sub.
Thanks to everyone who gave ideas.....

Jebr1

Postby Jebr1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 am

Do you have a picture of your install? Did you replace the factory gps screen? I'm trying to figure out what to do with my system since I have the factory nav.

Return to “R51 Electrical”