Pathfinder likes to veer off center

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jimiz

Pathfinder likes to veer off center

Postby jimiz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:09 pm

My '97 Pathfinder SE just had some front end work and I thought that the problem would go away. It used to make this popping sound when I turn the wheel far to either side. It would also "stick" and the Pathy would veer to the same direction until I hit a large porthole or turned the wheel far to the opposite direction. I had the struts and the washers that are on top of them, the steering rack, tie rod ends, front rotors turned, and new front brakes. I then took it in for a computerized wheel alignment.

The popping sound went away, but it still pulled to one side or the other. I took it right back to the alignment shop and they tested it again. Their tests showed it was aligned to the best their computer can tell.

So has anyone had this type of issue before? After spending nearly $1500 getting the front end back into shape, I was a little disappointed that it still pulls to the side. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

PathyConvert

Postby PathyConvert » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:05 am

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, could you be having a tire balance issue?

ScottZ

Postby ScottZ » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:44 am

I am having a similar issue with my 97 r50. Mine consistently wants to veer right. I had it aligned and double checked a month later. Tire shop says its aligned fine but there is no caster adjustment on r50s so sometimes they wander.

For the record, I have manual hubs and new bearings installed.

He also said that my brand new Yokohama Geolanders (from a different shop) can sometimes cause a pull. I don't know if that's true but I guess I'll live with it...

Have you checked your tire pressure on all 4 tires?

Could it be part of the front drive train is creating some drag?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”