underbody armor

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

guinnessjim

underbody armor

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:19 am

hey all:

thanks for the great posts so far re: the OME suspension (which i am sold on now...but why is the 40mm only offered overseas?) and tire sizes. really helped me to see what some of your rigs looked like (and there are some sweet ones pictured here).

i apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but here it goes (hopefully not again):

i wanted to get an SE-OR, but as luck would have it i walked into a really good deal on an SE. so be it...i dig my leather interior, heated seats, etc. but i am significantly concerned about the lack of underbody protection. anyone know of any after market armor compatible with the 2006 SE? the dealer seemed to think that for some reason, the SE-OR differed somehow from the SE 4x4..any truth to this? will i need to go custom to get my piece of mind?

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks.

geoffstgermaine

Postby geoffstgermaine » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:33 am

I believe that shrockworks makes a full set of skid plates for the Pathfinder. It's not listed on their site, but I read on a forum (perhaps this one) that there is one available if you contact them.

http://www.shrockworks.com/Nissan-Skid- ... c-260.html

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has put the Nissan skid plates on a non-OR Pathy. I'd like to put skid plates on my LE. I'd also be interested to know how heavy duty the Nissan skid plates are.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:18 am

Rancho may have aluminum skid plates as well;

http://www.gorancho.com/html/products/a ... lates.html

Rancho may be doing custom fitting for PF's in their LA shop if you have time to leave it with them;

http://www.gorancho.com/html/vehicles_needed.html

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:52 am

xxx
Last edited by Gray on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 am

Greybrick,

You are just a wealth of information. I don't know where you dig up some of the things you've posted, but I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:38 am

Greybrick wrote:Rancho may have aluminum skid plates as well;

That's interesting. Rancho is now showing a lift for the R51. Last I checked before I bought the OME, they didn't have anything.

It's called their Quick Lift system, but the info is still a bit vague as to what all is entailed & what it does. Almost sounds like it's adjustable, but I can't figure it out from their marketing material. They do say that it was tested for a max. tire of 285/75/16 though.

Here's 1 on Ebay for $50

Uses stock springs, but no mention of how much lift it provides. I'm guessing it just levels the front with the rear, but I don't know.
Last edited by NVSteve on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: underbody armor

Postby blink32 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:41 am

guinnessjim wrote:why is the 40mm only offered overseas?

the dealer seemed to think that for some reason, the SE-OR differed somehow from the SE 4x4..any truth to this?
What do you mean 40mm only overseas? The OME parts available for the R51 overseas are the same ones you can get here. You might see it listed differently, ie: arbusa lists the springs as 1" or 25.4mm lift, but I can assure you it is the exact same lift as overseas and you net closer to the 1.75" advertised on some sites.

No difference in the undercarriages. At-least none that would affect mounting skid plates between an OR and regular versions.
geoffstgermaine wrote:I'd also be interested to know if anyone has put the Nissan skid plates on a non-OR Pathy. I'd like to put skid plates on my LE. I'd also be interested to know how heavy duty the Nissan skid plates are.
I put them on my LE. If you search the forum's you will come up with all kinds of good info like below:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... kid+plates

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:04 am

I just put in the factory plates this week on my S and it took all of 20 minutes to put on 3 plates. The total cost for the 3 plates plus 13 bolts needed was $188 including shipping from Courtesy Nissan. That plastic gas tank just looks like it has a big bulls-eye on it without one.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:54 am

my understanding of this is that it is a nice way to get a lift (1-2.5" depending on how you set it...it is adjustable), but really doesn't provide any upgrade to the suspension system since it uses what you got. i am going w/ the OME as you get better quality coils and some nice shocks (if you chose to add them). since you get Rancho shocks on the SE-OR, dunno if this is needed for those models, but i will be upgrading my SE OEM shocks...just placed the order a couple minutes ago :D

NVSteve wrote:
Greybrick wrote:Rancho may have aluminum skid plates as well;

That's interesting. Rancho is now showing a lift for the R51. Last I checked before I bought the OME, they didn't have anything.

It's called their Quick Lift system, but the info is still a bit vague as to what all is entailed & what it does. Almost sounds like it's adjustable, but I can't figure it out from their marketing material. They do say that it was tested for a max. tire of 285/75/16 though.

Here's 1 on Ebay for $50

Uses stock springs, but no mention of how much lift it provides. I'm guessing it just levels the front with the rear, but I don't know.

guinnessjim

Re: underbody armor

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:12 pm

your the man, blink! thx for the info on both the emu and the plates. will pbby just do stock skids at this time and upgrade to a beefy set later.
blink32 wrote:
guinnessjim wrote:why is the 40mm only offered overseas?

the dealer seemed to think that for some reason, the SE-OR differed somehow from the SE 4x4..any truth to this?
What do you mean 40mm only overseas? The OME parts available for the R51 overseas are the same ones you can get here. You might see it listed differently, ie: arbusa lists the springs as 1" or 25.4mm lift, but I can assure you it is the exact same lift as overseas and you net closer to the 1.75" advertised on some sites.

No difference in the undercarriages. At-least none that would affect mounting skid plates between an OR and regular versions.
geoffstgermaine wrote:I'd also be interested to know if anyone has put the Nissan skid plates on a non-OR Pathy. I'd like to put skid plates on my LE. I'd also be interested to know how heavy duty the Nissan skid plates are.
I put them on my LE. If you search the forum's you will come up with all kinds of good info like below:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... kid+plates

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:54 pm

guinnessjim wrote:my understanding of this is that it is a nice way to get a lift (1-2.5" depending on how you set it...it is adjustable), but really doesn't provide any upgrade to the suspension system since it uses what you got. i am going w/ the OME as you get better quality coils and some nice shocks (if you chose to add them). since you get Rancho shocks on the SE-OR, dunno if this is needed for those models, but i will be upgrading my SE OEM shocks...just placed the order a couple minutes ago :D
You can use the stock spring up front because it just takes a change in how the strut is constructed. The rear is another story, since you can't possibly get any lift out of it just with shocks. The springs would have to be replaced as well, unless they their rear "kit" includes spacers.

All in all, it's sounding cheaper by the minute & I would steer everyone away from it.

What shocks are you upgrading to? I had the Rancho as stock in mine, and it made no difference to the sloppy springs. If I were you, I'd cancel the order for shocks and just wait til you have the funds for the OME.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:05 pm

sound advice...but too late!

i already put the order in for OME shocks all the way around...no waiting for funds here ;)
NVSteve wrote:
guinnessjim wrote:my understanding of this is that it is a nice way to get a lift (1-2.5" depending on how you set it...it is adjustable), but really doesn't provide any upgrade to the suspension system since it uses what you got. i am going w/ the OME as you get better quality coils and some nice shocks (if you chose to add them). since you get Rancho shocks on the SE-OR, dunno if this is needed for those models, but i will be upgrading my SE OEM shocks...just placed the order a couple minutes ago :D
You can use the stock spring up front because it just takes a change in how the strut is constructed. The rear is another story, since you can't possibly get any lift out of it just with shocks. The springs would have to be replaced as well, unless they their rear "kit" includes spacers.

All in all, it's sounding cheaper by the minute & I would steer everyone away from it.

What shocks are you upgrading to? I had the Rancho as stock in mine, and it made no difference to the sloppy springs. If I were you, I'd cancel the order for shocks and just wait til you have the funds for the OME.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:08 pm

guinnessjim wrote:sound advice...but too late!

i already put the order in for OME shocks all the way around...no waiting for funds here ;)
Nice. Where'd you order from?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:35 pm

With springs?

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:40 pm

blink32 wrote:

Nice. Where'd you order from?
ordered from a place here in LV that will also being doing the install for me....will wind up paying a little more in the end, but i am new in vegas and don't have the equipment i would need to self install or know neone here yet who does. OME kit w/ full set of shocks + install, shipping, tax etc. going to run me just over $1K.

*this place won me over when they didn't try to push that 5" calmini lift on me and quoted me approximately the OME price i saw on rocky-road.com (expected it to be a little more because stuff in LV usually is)

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”