2010/2011 Pathfinder- Regular or Premium gas???

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

marc515

2010/2011 Pathfinder- Regular or Premium gas???

Postby marc515 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:25 am

Looking to get a 2010 or 2011 Pathfinder with a V6, to tow our 3,800 Lb camper.

However, the Pathfinder recommends Preimum gas, and with the cost of gas now-a-days, that is a budget buster.

The service guy at the dealership said most folks use regular.

Just looking to find out some ground truth here, so what do you gys use???

Thank you

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu May 05, 2011 10:43 am

You will want to take a look at this thread here: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=5267

It will show what people use in their pathfinders. Everyone has their own opinion.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:28 pm

I think this sums it up nicely:

I would use premium for towing. Otherwise it's your call.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu May 05, 2011 7:36 pm

skinny2 wrote:I think this sums it up nicely:

I would use premium for towing. Otherwise it's your call.
Exactly. Premium for towing.

marc515

Postby marc515 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 am

In light of past few years of ever increasing gas prices, why hasn't Nissan done anything to ensure their V6's can run properly on "REGULAR" gas like most other engines do.

I really like the Pathfinder, but find it discouraging that I will/may need to run premium gas, especially when towing.

It really doesn't make much sense in today's age of technology, and I'm wondering if Nissan is behind on technology, or just profit driven.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Well this design is getting up there in age. It does some things very well...but it's about due for a redesign. You'll also note it's pretty much the ONLY mid-size ute that's truly built on a truck platform. That will go away with the redesign as well. It's still a very strong performer given its size and if you don't need ALL that performance you can run regular fuel without a problem. It likely still has better performance running regular fuel than many other vehicles. Honda Pilot is about 16hp and 35ft-lb (at 800rpm higher) short of the Pathfinder so it's certainly competitive.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 16, 2011 11:33 am

skinny2 wrote:Well this design is getting up there in age. It does some things very well...but it's about due for a redesign. You'll also note it's pretty much the ONLY mid-size ute that's truly built on a truck platform. That will go away with the redesign as well. It's still a very strong performer given its size and if you don't need ALL that performance you can run regular fuel without a problem. It likely still has better performance running regular fuel than many other vehicles. Honda Pilot is about 16hp and 35ft-lb (at 800rpm higher) short of the Pathfinder so it's certainly competitive.
I can't believe you just compared the Pathfinder to a honda pilot. That's just sad.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:39 pm

volvite wrote:
skinny2 wrote:Well this design is getting up there in age. It does some things very well...but it's about due for a redesign. You'll also note it's pretty much the ONLY mid-size ute that's truly built on a truck platform. That will go away with the redesign as well. It's still a very strong performer given its size and if you don't need ALL that performance you can run regular fuel without a problem. It likely still has better performance running regular fuel than many other vehicles. Honda Pilot is about 16hp and 35ft-lb (at 800rpm higher) short of the Pathfinder so it's certainly competitive.
I can't believe you just compared the Pathfinder to a honda pilot. That's just sad.
Well it's sad but true.....for 90% of the buying public these are direct competitors. No doubt thats also the reason the next Pathfinder will be car based.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 16, 2011 12:53 pm

If that's the case, then I will not be buying another pathfinder. I will have to stick with my Jeep. Any car based platform makes a nice CUV but will not hold up on any trails/dirt roads. My Jeep has been such a great vehicle and I love how it performs both on and off road. I bought my 08 pathfinder 3 months ago prior to my deployment as a new SUV than my 99 Jeep as I've had Nissan before and they have done great and thought lets try something other than another Jeep to see how things compare. So far I've been happy with it, but I have yet to try it off road really. It will be tested this fall when I return.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Then you know the Jeep doesn't have a frame either. But at least it does have the 4x4 bits and decent suspension. Latest Grand Cherokee has lost some of that trail worthiness as well. I had a 2001 Cherokee myself. I don't really off-road for fun but my job requires I drive back some very rough muddy roads at times and I also tow some. Won't be much to pick from next time except for full-size utes. They will get around fine where I need to drive but will suck the fuel. I'm getting 19-20 with the Pathfinder where my previous Toyota Tundra was getting 15.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 16, 2011 2:13 pm

You are correct about the new Grand Cherokee. It has gone to an IFS/IRS. My 99 is a unibody. However 99 up to 04 still had solid front and rear axles which made it more off road capable. I've done some good trails with mine, no real rock crawling, but some good off road trails. Use it to hunt etc and it's been the best all around vehicle. I tow etc, it's just 12 years old now. I can keep it running, but the wife needed something neither of us wanted to worry about while I was gone. I am afraid that the real SUV life spans are coming to an end. Even full size SUV's have become more CUV and lack the solid axles for off road.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”