Getting a 2005 Pathfinder...should I?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:20 pm

sanjose wrote:Thanks guys! This was the offered price. he is holding firm on it.
I am thiking, if I get it, I bypass the cooler. Hopefully that was the main issue with this.?
the cooler is the main issue, though at the mileage, it would still (until 96 months/80,000 miles) be covered by Nissans' warranty extension
more info here: http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=20
if the truck is in good shape & well maintained, and you feel right about the price, by all means....................

sanjose

Postby sanjose » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:47 pm

eieio wrote: the cooler is the main issue, though at the mileage, it would still (until 96 months/80,000 miles) be covered by Nissans' warranty extension
more info here: http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=20
if the truck is in good shape & well maintained, and you feel right about the price, by all means....................
Hows the 4x4 been for you so far...any major issues?

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:54 am

You can never go wrong by taking the car to a Nissian Dealer and pay them $100 to go over it and tell you what needs to be done. If you are like me it is a big investment and you would want to know if it will last. :D

If you really want to be sly take it for a spin and plug in a code reader to see what comes up.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:52 am

sanjose wrote:Hows the 4x4 been for you so far...any major issues?
as you can see from my signature, i have two Pathfinders, both 2005, both bought new, no major issues at all (in fact, no minor issues either :D )
if i lost one of them right now, i'd replace it with another in a heartbeat

PapaRomeo51

Postby PapaRomeo51 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:44 pm

I had a 95 Pathfinder for 12 years and I bought a 2005 Model 4X4 (68,000 miles)about three months ago. I had the recall done on the fuel sending unit, replaced a check valve in the charcoal canister(Check engine light came on) and did the bypass on the radiator transmission cooler as a precautionary measure. I also lifter the body 2", replaced the front struts and the rear shocks and got new Michelin LTX m/s2 tires size 265/70/17. I spent about $2500 on the upgrades and repairs, but this one owner beauty has won over my heart. I missed the 95 Pathfinder at first, but now I'm hooked on my new one and wouldn't go back.

sanjose

Postby sanjose » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks a lot guys! I think I will go and get this one this weekend. I do plan to bypass the radiator for the trans fluid.
Question here:
This is a 2005 SE Off road 4x4. I asked this guy and he crawled under this car and checked. he says he cannot see a separate tranny cooler. Is that possible...was the tranny cooler an option?
He does have the two package.
Thanks again!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:58 pm

sanjose wrote:Thanks a lot guys! I think I will go and get this one this weekend. I do plan to bypass the radiator for the trans fluid.
Question here:
This is a 2005 SE Off road 4x4. I asked this guy and he crawled under this car and checked. he says he cannot see a separate tranny cooler. Is that possible...was the tranny cooler an option?
He does have the two package.
Thanks again!
all 2005+ US Pathfinders have the tow package, and all have two transmission coolers
the 2005 model has an external transmission cooler in front of the radiator on the passenger side, and an internal transmission cooler inside the bottom of the coolant radiator
it is the latter that gets by-passed :wink:
here is the quintessential (though long) thread on the matter..........
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=bypass

sanjose

Postby sanjose » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks for all the help. I did get the vehicle. If not for everything I learned here, I would not have.
First thing I did was bypass the radiator. Did not use the connector method...instead switched the hoses so that I did not have to use any extra parts.
How accurate is the MPG indicator on the console?..it was showing less than 15 all day today. Is it showing the mpg for that point in time or the avg for the trip?
Thanks again!

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:59 am

It is average MPG for a trip until it gets reset (which can be done at any time desired).

How I reset mine:
Push button multiple times until it gets to TRIP A position. Hold down for a few seconds for it to clear ALL settings except you will find that TRIP A has not cleared. To clear it, push for just a brief time. Any of the settings can be cleared individually by briefly pushing button down and not affect other settings. I often clear TRIP B, MPH, MPG, TIME to get the stats of a current trip. I do wish it had “instant MPG”. I find my MPG readings rather accurate.

As for the radiator, you are best advised to cap the former trans lines since corrosion and/or cracks could now cause loss of coolant (from what others say. I replaced my radiator)

sanjose

Postby sanjose » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks. I did that.
is a less than 15 average pretty normal?
Or is there something I can do to make it better.
It went through the 60K service with all the fluid changes stc last year. Its at 78K now.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:36 am

sanjose wrote:is a less than 15 average pretty normal?
yep! i'v gotten as low as the mid 12's and as high as the mid 24's
average is right around 15 in my OR
a little higher in my SE
(i own two of these things, i guess that makes me a "glutton for punishment"! :lol: )
sanjose wrote:Or is there something I can do to make it better.
keep it moving as much as possible, that is, avoid stops & starts
it takes a lot of fuel to get it from zero mph up to speed
aftermarket intake items and trying different types & grades of fuel seem to be of questionable benefit
there are many threads available in the "search" feature at the top of the page
try searching "fuel mileage" or "fuel economy", etc
:)

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:44 am

Congrats on your purchase. Hope you are enjoying your pathfinder. Now to answer your question on the mpg guage. I usually reset the mpg guage every time I fill up and I have found it to be reasonably close to my actually mpg which I calculate based on miles traveled and gas consumed.

sanjose

Postby sanjose » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks again! I will post the mpg once i have gone through a couple of tanks.

farmgirlpathfinder

Go for it

Postby farmgirlpathfinder » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:28 am

I would definitely recommend this vehicle. I just purchased mine but had looked at the pathfinder in 2005, 2006 and 2007. I am definitely going to have the radiator changed and I would contact Nissan USA with the VIN number. I have a service engine light on in my vehicle and when I inquired about it to Nissan, I was informed that based on my VIN, the previous owner had opted for the extended warranty, instead of getting the issue repaired free (P0463 Fuel Level Sensor). I now have to get this repaired and I would advise against taking it to the dealer for any repairs. My local dealer told me it would be about $700 and the entire fuel pump would have to be replaced. I took it to my local mechanic and was quoted $250 for the part and labor, since the sensor itself could just be replaced. To sum it up, I love my PF and my next vehicle will be a newer PF or the Armada.

deermjd

Re: Go for it

Postby deermjd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:39 am

farmgirlpathfinder wrote:I would definitely recommend this vehicle. I just purchased mine but had looked at the pathfinder in 2005, 2006 and 2007. I am definitely going to have the radiator changed and I would contact Nissan USA with the VIN number. I have a service engine light on in my vehicle and when I inquired about it to Nissan, I was informed that based on my VIN, the previous owner had opted for the extended warranty, instead of getting the issue repaired free (P0463 Fuel Level Sensor). I now have to get this repaired and I would advise against taking it to the dealer for any repairs. My local dealer told me it would be about $700 and the entire fuel pump would have to be replaced. I took it to my local mechanic and was quoted $250 for the part and labor, since the sensor itself could just be replaced. To sum it up, I love my PF and my next vehicle will be a newer PF or the Armada.
That's odd that Nissan is not willing to honor the recall for the fuel level sensor. My sensor went bad before my VIN# was recalled so I just bought the part form Nissan and replaced it myself. The quote you got from the local mechanic seems very reasonable. The fuel level sensor was about $120 from the dealer and it took me a couple of hours to replace it. The replacement part I got was slightly different than the original and seems to be a better design so hopefully this won't be a problem again.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”