HID kit experience

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

newpath

HID kit experience

Postby newpath » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:54 pm

So I finally broke down and bought an HID kit. I was super excited to get this installed, especially with as easy as it was supposed to be. Well the place I ordered it from carid.com had terrible instructions that came with it. But a little you tube searching and it seemed pretty easy. However, most people on youtube failed to say that you only had to plug the kit into one side of the factory harness. So I was quite confused when I had wires that HAD to be plugged in SOMEWHERE, but there was no where for them to be plugged in to. Anyway, I was able to find that answer. So I get it all installed and the moment of truth came. Bam! they're on. Switch to high beams, nothing. Now I bough the bi xenon hi/low beam kit. So great. based on the wiring that was included, I thought maybe they had sent me some wrong parts because I still wasn't convinced that something was plugged in wrong, or not plugged in at all. After all, why would they send you two pieces of wiring (one for each side) if you were only going to be plugging in one side. So I decided to call up the tech center to see if they could help. They had me switching prongs around (fairly easy to do) until we got both hi and lo's to work. FINALLY we did, but wait... the highs are on when my switch is in the low beam position, and when I switch to high beam, the low beams are on. this wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that it messes up my fog lights. So the lady says I need to switch the two prongs and we'll be all set. I do that and I get nothing. She's rather confused and had to get her boss. At the end of this, the guy says he is going to email me a link to give me step by stem instructions to change the wires around that are connected to each prong. Then come to find out I had blown a fuse. So maybe I don't have to move these wires around. well I call the two days later and I speak to the same girl. We go through some more switching to try to get it back to where we thought it would work, and a fuse goes. So now my only option is the wire switching. Something I'm not comfortable with. They said it had something to do with a moving ground. I guess Toyota's are known for this issue, and now 02 pathfinders' are added to this list. So it's impossible for me to have HID light :( quite bummed.
However, the tech girl was great! She was very friendly and accommodating. She was very helpful with her instructions and made it very easy for someone who knows very little about cars to understand. I will definitely buy from carid.com again, and use the tech help if I need to.

Rizzo226

Postby Rizzo226 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:22 am

i installed 6k hids and aftermarket yellow fog lights. i put the hids in place for my low beams, there so bright tha its not even worth spending the money on high beam hids. ever since installing mine i havnt even used my high beams in over a year.

newpath

Postby newpath » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:33 am

Yeah. I Have been considering doing just that because you're right. When I had the lows working, they're amazing!
Update on it though, I messed around with it and I got the highs and lows working, but they're reversed (like I said before). But who cares, it's just a difference in the lever being forward or back. Does anyone know if this is going to mess anything up electronically? The high beam indicator in the dash is on regardless of whether low's or highs are on, so I'm a little worried about this. If so, I will return. If not, I'll keep them and just get used to the opposite switch. Any insight would be great. but if you think that lows are fine (which they totally are), the brights are amazing and now I don't want to have to get rid of them. :P

Postby 90210 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:30 pm

RIZZO where did you buy your HID and what kind?

My headlights are so poor (lens is yellow) light output is poor..i can't see anything..unless I have fogs on all the time.

it has become a safety issue for me.

help appreciated

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:12 pm

i have been playing with HID's for almost 6 years now and i have seen 3 different types of bi-xenon kits. the type you are talking about that only plugs into 1 side of the car, a kit that not only plugs into u'r headlight harness but also runs a pos and neg wire to your battery, and the best kit i have used plugs into each side of the cars headlights and the wire that turns on the high beams goes to a relay box that moves the actual hid bulb telescopically to change the beam from low to high.. those kits are by far the easiest to install and the seller i have been purchasing them from on ebay is cheap and ships very fast from city of industry, california. his ebay name is ca_sage. a bunch of his feedback on there is from my festerfm screen name. he is highly recommended. the bixenon kits last time i checked were around 50-60 bux shipped. as for legality, hid's are "technically" only legal in projector housings or housings that are specifically made for them. in my small town in PA the cops dont care and wont pull you over for it, however, if u get stopped for speeding and u'r a douche, they will write it up. remember, before the halogen bulb was something much dimmer and at one point halogen bulbs were extremely bright comparatively speaking but society just got used to them. i believe that will be the way of HIDs. eventually almost all cars will use projector housings and will use some form of HID.

as for how they are in an r50, i dont know yet. i just sold my old suv today and am picking up my 01 pathfinder next saturday. and from there, it will only be a week or 2 before we find out.. and when i do, there will be pics. once you get used to the hid's, they dont seem blue anymore. they are white and halogens are yellow.. :D

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”