SES on again

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

asgard

SES on again

Postby asgard » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:50 pm

Well over the past 6 months I have had on and off SES light. It does not correlate to fuel being put in, I have checked the cap and visually it looks OK. i had the oil changed - free and the car coated for winter. It comes on for about 2 weeks then goes off, if I get annoyed with it on I disconnect the battery and it resets, sometimes staying off fro 300/400 miles other times just 150 miles. The truck runs great, no difference in power, starts fine, and fuel economy usual for winter.
I asked on a previous thread about code reader - scangage or bullydog.
I contacted the dealer and they want $75 to check it out, they state that it is not a simple as reading the codes they might need to do some further electronic testing. Is this just BS or fat. If I bought a code reader and with the list of Pathfinder codes - could I diagnose the problem without further dealer input.
Also I have APC warranty - will they need dealer diagnosis before they pay if something is found faulty or will they replace on my code fault diag.
Would it still be worth while having the codes scanned anyway.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:32 pm

diagnosis is usually paid for by the customer, and generally the first step in any repair process
if the problem turns out to be a defect covered by the APC warranty, the warranty may cover the diagnostic fee also
almost any warranty repair requires diagnosis before they will authorize a repair or make a commitment to pay for it
scanning the codes would probably be worthwhile, as there may be something serious going on

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 pm

I say this is a good opportunity to invest in a scanner. You can usually find one on sale for about $50 at part stores. Most stores will also scan your codes for free.

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:21 am

I was looking at a couple of scanners and will buy one eventually. I have a feeling that the dealer will not accept my findings and insist on a charged scan. Well I haven't spent anything on it so it is time to pay.
Hope it is not a faulty tank cap seal.

Well in the free market US they scan free , I think Autozone do it, in Canada I don't know any parts place that does - not saying there isn't one. If anyone knows I would be happy to use the service.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 am

asgard wrote:have a feeling that the dealer will not accept my findings and insist on a charged scan.
it's usually better to have the repair facility do a diagnosis anyway
that way, the repair they recommend should be guaranteed to solve the problem
if the repair is based upon someone elses diagnosis, and it does not solve the problem.................
scans sometime give codes that do not necessarily pinpoint the problem

asgard wrote:Hope it is not a faulty tank cap seal.
why? :?
wouldn't that be about the least invasive thing to repair?

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:36 pm

What I meant was paying out $75 for a diagnosis just for a gas cap.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:50 pm

asgard wrote:What I meant was paying out $75 for a diagnosis just for a gas cap.
oh yeah......
have you looked into what your warranty covers?

asgard

Postby asgard » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Well I went into the dealers today and had the diagnostic done. It is an EVap valve problem - sticking half open, covered by warranty so no cost. I will detail the fault code etc when I have it replaced next week.
Would that affect the gas mileage?

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Well I had the truck at the dealers today for the EVAP control valve to be replaced. They did not give me the fault code but said it was the valve. So I went and looked at the location and found they had snapped the bolt head off and cable tied the canister in place. I know it is hard under cars in Canada but I would have thought they had to replace the bolt - it is a warranty job. Oh, that is why it wasn't replaced , if I had been paying no doubt it would have been essential it was installed.
Not happy, didn't even wash it. New service team, not as good as the last.
with this standard of care , Nissan is not doing itself any favors

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Did you show them the broken bolt and request it to be fixed correctly? I don't see a cable tie being the proper procedure to fix that kind of item.

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:19 pm

I agree, all the weight is at the top of the unit and the 2 cable ties are at the bottom so I have a call into the service manager - who I now find out has come over from GM - OH no shit domestic service expectation.
I am going to request it is drilled out and if the captive not can be reused OK, if not I will accept a nut and bolt fix.
I have visions of the cable ties wearing through due to the canister moving and trying to fall off going down the highway.
The tech is usually very good, must be a time issue, we only get so much for the repair - the rest is on us.

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:09 pm

I checked the bolt shaft that remains and it is good metal, i think no release agent was applied, this is a duty of care, the dealer is responsible to take all reasonable care while working on my car, I gave them a car with the part attached and unmodified - factory. If it is not able to last 4 years without breaking , I would put forward inadequate quality. Most of North America from North Carolina up has salt applied during winter - some more than others. I have my car oiled each year and it is very good underneath. The bolt shear is not a big issue, what is is that they said nothing.
It will not take me long to fix it if need be, it just irks me that the dealer is acting the same as a backstreet shady dealer. They want big money per hour and turn out this. It was warranty, if I had been paying and they had said another hour to dill out or nothing for cable ties then maybe I would have elected to save money and monitor it. But to just do it and say nothing.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Hopefully you can get a good reply from the service manager and get it fixed correctly.

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Well the service manager passed me over to the shop foreman who said the apprentice did it. He checked with him and he admitted the bolt sheared. The foreman was not happy with cable ties and said the part weighs about 4 lbs and it would need a bolt. So after my less than impressive conversation with the service manager I asked the foreman to let him know and give me a call so I can have the bolt installed.
This is not the service I got before and was surprised by this. Anyway it will be resolved soon.Acceptable outcome. will try to get the code readout number.

asgard

Postby asgard » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:48 am

Well I got the paperwork today and the code was P0455 - when I checked the website it gave P1455 but I assume it is the same
P1445
EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Valve

Still have the sheared bolt although this is to be fixed by the dealer as well. At the moment it slides about on the cable ties , so that will not do.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”