2* timing advance for the Pathfinder V8

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Clay350

2* timing advance for the Pathfinder V8

Postby Clay350 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:10 am

Im reading in the armada forum guys swearing buy the "Two degree timing Advance". Has anyone on the pathfinder done this? It sounds like a good performance mod with really no drawbacks. Apparently its just a setting in the ECU. Our engines allow 2 degrees more timing. The only drawback I read was that sometimes during hard accelerating on bad or low octane fuel the computer would have to retard the timing for detonation. They were saying in general if you do this mod you need to use 89 octane and then you guranteed no problems. The before and after timeslips and testimonials seemed convincing enough for me to try it. I have adjusted timing manually on engines for years so I don't see how this is any different. Anyone done this mod?

NmexMAX

Re: 2* timing advance for the Pathfinder V8

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:35 am

Clay350 wrote:Im reading in the armada forum guys swearing buy the "Two degree timing Advance". Has anyone on the pathfinder done this? It sounds like a good performance mod with really no drawbacks. Apparently its just a setting in the ECU. Our engines allow 2 degrees more timing. The only drawback I read was that sometimes during hard accelerating on bad or low octane fuel the computer would have to retard the timing for detonation. They were saying in general if you do this mod you need to use 89 octane and then you guranteed no problems. The before and after timeslips and testimonials seemed convincing enough for me to try it. I have adjusted timing manually on engines for years so I don't see how this is any different. Anyone done this mod?
I'm curious to know the answer to this also.

I got mine done on my Maxima at the dealer. Then later, I purchased Cipher from UpRev which can do it on it's own.

For the Pathy, I'm not so sure. Seems as if the Titan/Armada and Pathy V8 ECU's are different.

My Cipher only allows monitoring of the ECU parameters with no adjustment capability, and very little functionality with respect to engine manage for the Pathy. It does allow quite a bit of control over BCM functions though.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:53 am

I thought about doing the 2degree advance as well, but decided against it mainly because the V8 has more than enough power stock and we may have to only run premium, which today's gas prices is a no-go. You can run 87, but from what I have been reading, the ECU may complain in hard driving.
Also, I have this fear that it may shorten the lifespan of the engine in the long term. Basically, if it was really that easy and beneficial, then why didn't the engineers at Nissan just program it that way in the first place.

As for the Uprev, I believe if you buy the upgraded version, you can tweak and adjust all you want, including the 2degree advance. Might want to give them a call.

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:24 pm

The guys in the armada forum all said they mainly run 87 and sometimes midgrade 89.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Hmmm. Anyway, give it a try. Just sayin' the 5.6 been around since 2004 and Nissan hasn't baked in a simple performance gain by doing the advance as of yet. Why would they hold back?
Wait, the new Infiniti QX and the new Nissan Patrol have the newer 5.6 engines that put out 400hp. Hmm, maybe it's in those?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”