windshield wipers

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

windshield wipers

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:34 pm

The fronts I have covered, but I'd like to replace the rear. I stopped by 2 auto parts stores, but neither carry a 12" blade. Closest I could find was either 11 or 13". Those who have replaced them, what have you used as a replacement brand? Also, can you get something larger than a 12" on there?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:12 am

I had to buy OEM, $12. You could always buy a generic refill blade and trim it to size...
Purchased the Top of the line Bosh Silicone whoopditty doo's for the front.
Not impressed.

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:00 pm

I ran into the same problem with the rear blade. I did find a complete 12" wiper blade at a local Advanced Auto Parts. Unfortunately, the Pathy wiper arm has a non-standard connector and it wouldn't fit on the arm.

I was able to remove the actual wiper from the replacement blade and install it in the original blade. It was a pain and it mostly works.

That said, $12 for a Nissan OEM replacement wiper isn't a bad price. Granted, you can pick up complete ANCO blade assemblies at WalMart for ~$8.

lflemming

What about a winter version of the rear wiper

Postby lflemming » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:41 am

What I'd liek to find is a winter version of the wiper to prevent freeze-up. OEM part doens't work well in Canadian winters. Can't find a wiper arm hold-down spring either. Anyone have an luck in this matter?

Marc89GTi

Postby Marc89GTi » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:55 am

Up here in Canada, Canadian Tire sells one called a Precise Fit, its exactly the same as the oem one.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 9097043026

The link describes a 11" version, but they sell a 12" version as well.

As for the rear wiper, its a crappy design for sure, one of the few flaws this vehicle has. Two things they could have done better to improve the design,
1. add more defrost lines at the top of the window (stops part of the wiper from icing up in the winter)
2. have a stronger spring to hold the wiper against the window

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: What about a winter version of the rear wiper

Postby NVSteve » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:32 am

lflemming wrote:What I'd liek to find is a winter version of the wiper to prevent freeze-up. OEM part doens't work well in Canadian winters. Can't find a wiper arm hold-down spring either. Anyone have an luck in this matter?
Exactly why I want to have mine replaced also-it is totally useless in snow. I haven't really messed around with it at all, but I'm either going to make a standard 12" blade work, or I'm going to figure out some way to replace the arm with something that will accept standard wiper blade assemblies. Seriously, how difficult could it be? Maybe use the arm from one of the other Nissan vehicles (cars).

EDIT: looks like the 350Z, Armada, Murano and X all share the same part numbers for the arm & replacement blade. However, according to the Rain-X website, the replacement blade is available for the X, not available for the Armada, and no listing for the Pathfinder. Seems they don't know what they are talking about.

EDIT #2: Trico has a blade that will fit. It's the Exact Fit 12-B. I haven't really looked around much, but they do have it at the Checker stores.

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:21 pm

For full replacement (steel & rubber) wipers for the front, they are available and should be easy to find.

Narrow blades are available for the fronts if you don't mind the steel arms that came with from factory. I don't now if any modifications needs to be done when replacing the rubber only. I just threw on a brand new Rain-X wiper blade.

For the rear, there is no complete replacement. Only thing you can do for the rear is buy it complete from the dealer for -$12. OR, buy narrow wiper blades, not the standard as they are too wide.

It's possible some narrow blades will fit without modifying the rear wiper arm. It will fit really tight and a little difficult to replace the wiper completely.

Only simple mod is file down the plastic parts that make contact with the wiper (rubber). You may have to file it down so it's a little pointed, not completely rectangular. Otherwise, it will wipe, but not as clean as stock.

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:24 pm

rlh2005 wrote:I was able to remove the actual wiper from the replacement blade and install it in the original blade. It was a pain and it mostly works.
You'll have to file down the plastic that directly contacts the blade to a point. It's so tight, the blade cannot flex properly with the curvature of the rear glass.

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 pm

lflemming wrote:What I'd liek to find is a winter version of the wiper to prevent freeze-up. OEM part doens't work well in Canadian winters. Can't find a wiper arm hold-down spring either. Anyone have an luck in this matter?
I just place a piece of long cardboard on the windshield overnight. That protects it from snow, frost and ice buildup. By the time the heater is blowing hot, everything is fine.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:52 pm

the rear wiper insert from a honda pilot 03-05 is a perfect fit. i work for honda so i matched i up. works great. costs around $7.00 or $4.00 can't remember but it's one of them. got mine for free.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:33 pm

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:the rear wiper insert from a honda pilot 03-05 is a perfect fit. i work for honda so i matched i up. works great. costs around $7.00 or $4.00 can't remember but it's one of them. got mine for free.
Are you talking just the blade replacement that fits? Or the whole assembly?

I ordered up the Trico to give it a go since I always like to try other than OEM. I pulled off the old one & took a photo:

The top blade is the old, the bottom is the Trico. Hardly any difference whatsoever. OEM blade is black, whereas the Trico is gray-black. I think next time I'll just get a refill blade & trim to fit. Sure wish someone had the winter wiper assemblies that have the rubber boot on them.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:53 am

I'm very surprised that they had a 12-B. l the stores by me did not carry them and would have to order. I just put in a new blade kit for 3$. works fine.

2008PatherfinderS

Postby 2008PatherfinderS » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:32 am

I too used the Trico 12-B. I manage a Advance Auto Parts store in Maryland and it's available to us next day. It fit and looks just like the OE blade.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:51 am

just the rubber insert.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:59 pm

Captain caveman wrote:I'm very surprised that they had a 12-B. l the stores by me did not carry them and would have to order. I just put in a new blade kit for 3$. works fine.
Nobody in my area carries it, so I had to order it online & even that was difficult because it really is a hard item to find. A bit on the spendy side, but I was willing to give it a go.

Jahl: do you have a part number for the Honda blade?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”