Is there a hose connected to the coolant overflow?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Cooper993

Is there a hose connected to the coolant overflow?

Postby Cooper993 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:09 pm

I occasionally smell coolant coming from the front passenger tire area. I got under the car and checked all the cooling lines to the back and found no issues.

Finally saw coolant running down behind the wheel well lining. Traced it up and saw there there was coolant on the top right under the coolant reservoir.

My reservoir does not have a hose on the overflow tube. It just points toward the fender. Is this normal/standard?

Trying to figure out if it's just an overflow tube issue or there's something else leaking that I can't see.

It is an 2006 V6 SE

Pathfinder101

Postby Pathfinder101 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Just checked my 05 v6 it has a hose however its only about 2" long just enough
For it to reach over the tank. Hope that helps. My pathfinder always seems to have the smell of coolant I have looked many times for a leak and can not find anything
Although I do seem to get quite a bit of condensation out the tail pipe

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:35 pm

There is just a short hose. Did you rercently add coolant? If not, I would be concerned about head gasket issues. How does your coolant look?

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:45 pm

disallow wrote:There is just a short hose. Did you recently add coolant? If not, I would be concerned about head gasket issues. How does your coolant look?
Hadn't added coolant but doubt it's a head gasket. It was wet below the reservoir and next to the battery. A head gasket would just blow it through the engine/exhaust

It's probably the lower hose that goes into the reservoir or the reservoir itself. I just wanted to rule out I wasn't missing a hose on the overflow before I took the whole thing apart looking for the cause.

Coolant looks new

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Head gasket adding exhaust to the water circuit will bubble up your rad and cause overflow in your resevoir.

Not saying that's what you have, but I have seen it before.

Maybe your resevoir has a crack or your pressure cap is faulty.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:51 pm

disallow wrote:Head gasket adding exhaust to the water circuit will bubble up your rad and cause overflow in your resevoir.

Not saying that's what you have, but I have seen it before.

Maybe your resevoir has a crack or your pressure cap is faulty.
Didn't think about the cap. Will add that to the list to check

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”