Coolant leak any suggestions ?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Pathfinder101

Coolant leak any suggestions ?

Postby Pathfinder101 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Last couple days I have noticed a small leak on the driveway so today I decided to investigate thinking it maybe radiator or hose. I can't find the leak but the cross member about a foot behind front wheels was wet with coolant not sure how it would all get back that far.Also the transmission has signs of coolant on it. The temp gauge was fluctuating this morning after a 5 min drive
Coolant was low topped up and went for a drive and the temp held steady but had a few drips come down on the driveway again but still can't notice where the leak is.

Last week while on a 200 mile trip to pick up a boat the temp gauge was all the way up to Hot maybe a little over so I pulled over topped up with water and was able to continue picked up boat drove 100 miles back home with boat intow and the gauge didn't budge.

Any ideas what could be going on ? there are no signs what so ever of leak in the engine compartment.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:26 pm

There are water lines that go that far back. In fact, if you have the rear heater option, they go all the way back.

Any fluid that leaks has a way of getting everywhere, due to the air movement. I would start by checking on the firewall, where the water lines go in and out for the heater core.

Short of that, a pressure test at a shop may help find your leak.

If its the rear lines, its a big job.

t

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Disallow is right, the rear lines are a very big job, labor intensive. I've heard that they actually seperate part of the body from the frame.

Soultion: have a repair shop cap the lines and sacrafice the rear HVAC system. When you get rich you can get it fixed or buy a fancy new truck instead.

Pathfinder101

Postby Pathfinder101 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks for your input I guess I'm going to have to take it and get pressure tested to ake sure. I can live with no rear HVAC as I'm always up front :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Those lines can be repaired in many cases, as opposed to replacing them and have to lift the body off of the frame...if that is what the problem is. Pressure testing is the way to go at this point.

hkmaster

coolant leak

Postby hkmaster » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:37 am

I had the same problem, turned out to be the rear aluminum lines next to the muffler. had a shop cut them out and replace it with rubber hose=no leak anymore. the 2 lines rub against each other and cause them to get corroded.

Pathfinder101

Re: coolant leak

Postby Pathfinder101 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:37 pm

hkmaster wrote:I had the same problem, turned out to be the rear aluminum lines next to the muffler. had a shop cut them out and replace it with rubber hose=no leak anymore. the 2 lines rub against each other and cause them to get corroded.
Thanks I'll check that out se if I can find anything

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:54 pm

I am having the same situation. When I brought it to Nissan to be repaired, I guess they only want to go the ridiculous body OFF frame way. I told them to forget it and asked if the could just cap them, because I too don't think rear heat is necessary. They wouldn't do it though and told me to go to a private mechanic for that.

If I was to cap the lines, would the rear a/c still work?

(no threadjack intended).

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes the rear a/c should still work as long as they only cap the coolant lines.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm

I think there are 3 or 4 lines running back. Does anyone know which ones (from passenger side to drivers side) are the coolant lines particularily? Also.....is there anything I can do myself in my driveway?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”