Exhausting Exhaust

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Mknight318ATX

Exhausting Exhaust

Postby Mknight318ATX » Tue May 29, 2012 3:03 pm

I have a 97 SE 4x4 with a leaky exhaust system. Is it possible to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets without removing the head? I was reading thru the FSM and it seems that it suggests to remove the head in order to replace the gaskets. This just seems like a lot more work than is necessary to replace them.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Make sure it's the manifold gaskets and not the manifolds themselves. The right side manifold was particularly known for cracking and an updated manifold was made available. The manifolds can be removed without removing the cylinder heads. The manifold is removed with the precat attached and from the bottom of the vehicle. The WD21's had more problems with manifold gaskets leaking due to broken studs. The R50's had larger, 10MM studs (compared to the WD21's 8MM studs), which never break...but the manifolds sometimes do.

Mknight318ATX

Postby Mknight318ATX » Wed May 30, 2012 7:27 am

Thanks good info! I bought this Pathy with a dead engine and swapped with a used engine. Since I was not sure what other problems it might have I only replaced some items and it seemed at the time that reusing the manifold gaskets was a fair idea. But it has comeback to haunt me. It could also be the next gaskets in line on the precats, I am going to replace them all. I realized the reason for removing the manifolds and precats as a unit when I went to install them. It is a PITA to try to get the precats on the manifold afterwards and the heat shields and even BIGGER PITA. I think I spen a good portion 1 day just doing that. Thanks for the info I will let you know and take pics.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”