Inspection says ECU code but CEL not on

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

RexAtHighSpeed

Inspection says ECU code but CEL not on

Postby RexAtHighSpeed » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am

We have a 2003 pathfinder that had an ECU code saying the driver's side front cat was bad. We replaced the catalytic converter and now the Inspection station says the ECU has a code for the Check Engine Light (CEL) not lighting up. The CEL does not come on at all. I thought it was simply a bulb or LED so I took the gauge cluster out and looked it over - there are no lights or LEDs to be found near the CEL. At least none that I can see without disassembling the cluster completely.

What are my options? Do we need to replace the ECU? Is this a common problem?

~Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 pm

When you turn the key "on," the cluster performs a "bulb check" which illuminates the warning lamps on the cluster. If the "MIL" doesn't illuminate during the bulb check, there is a problem with the circuit and should cause a code to set in the ECM memory. The cluster is an "integrated meter" type and uses LEDs for the warning lamps. If other warning lamps are working, that would leave you the possibility of a bad integrated meter assy., bad ECM or bad circuit between the ECM and the integrated meter's harness connector. If it is the meter assy., it can be replaced by ordering one through Nissan or sending it out to a place that repairs instrument clusters. Without performing the diagnostic tests for the trouble code per the factory service manual, there really isn't any way of telling which of the three is causing your MIL not to work.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”