Does anyone else with R51 feel the steering "darts"

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Homer J

Postby Homer J » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:12 am

Since new, mine has had what I call 'bump steer'. Occasionally, when I go over an expansion joint or the like, the wheel will jerk slightly in my hands. Never enough to cause concern, just annoying. Seems like since it has more miles (25,000) on it now, the problem has disappeared. I've always wondered if a steering stabilizer would help but since it's not a big problem, I haven't bothered.

Oh, normally it tracks strait and true, even under heavy braking.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:13 am

Mine will also get what I refer to as bump steer when the alignment is out. It's hard to find a good alignment shop these days but once you do I bet the problem goes away. It's possible it wasn't aligned properly from day one.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:29 am

Homer J wrote:Since new, mine has had what I call 'bump steer'. Occasionally, when I go over an expansion joint or the like, the wheel will jerk slightly in my hands. Never enough to cause concern, just annoying. Seems like since it has more miles (25,000) on it now, the problem has disappeared. I've always wondered if a steering stabilizer would help but since it's not a big problem, I haven't bothered.

I've yet to see a steering stabilizer for rack and pinion steering.

Homer J

Postby Homer J » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:38 am

smj999smj wrote:
Homer J wrote:Since new, mine has had what I call 'bump steer'. Occasionally, when I go over an expansion joint or the like, the wheel will jerk slightly in my hands. Never enough to cause concern, just annoying. Seems like since it has more miles (25,000) on it now, the problem has disappeared. I've always wondered if a steering stabilizer would help but since it's not a big problem, I haven't bothered.

I've yet to see a steering stabilizer for rack and pinion steering.
Good point. Anyway, it actually seems to have gotten better now that there are a few more miles on it. Maybe I just don't notice it as much as when it was new.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:41 am

What you're describing is somewhat normal in our trucks but can be exasperated by several factors, including tire type and caster alignment.

1. Tires. Tires with a large amount of flat surface area (like performance tires) are particularly prone to "tramlining." That basically means your steering has a tendency to follow the contours of the road. This is especially noticeable in the city, when you stop at a light and there's pavement rutting (see picture below). Tires with an all-terrain profile tend to be slightly less prone to this.

2. Alignment. There are three primary adjustments for alignments: camber, caster and toe. Most alignment places just check your "toe" and "camber." Your truck's "caster" alignment is often the "forgotten adjustment" and affects the steering's tendency to return to – and stay – straight ahead. The more "positive" caster you have, the more stable your truck is at high speeds and the more effort is required to steer away from center. The less caster you have, the easier it is to steer from center and the more susceptible your steering becomes to outside influences.

Caster is usually adjusted with shims and it needs to be done by someone who understands alignments and the caster specs of your truck. This means you'll want to avoid places like Firestone and Sears. I would probably go to the dealership for this. Another great place for alignments, believe it or not, is a high-end sports car tuner. The best alignment I've ever gotten was at a shop that specializes in tuning German race cars. They often tune cars based on feel and those guys know their stuff.

labsy

Postby labsy » Wed May 18, 2016 4:39 pm

My 5 cents:
I've started noticing same wandering left-right as tires got older. I thought, ok, it's the tires, so I did alignment service twice, but nothing changed. Did not paid attention, despite of being really annoying that feeling, that my vehicle is not as new.
But few days ago my bearings begun singing. I checked all wheels for bad hub bearings and found significant amount of play in all 4 wheels, particularly front right. So it was not tires, but play in wheel hubs/bearings which rendered my vehicle not so stable on straights.

So, my advice, check wheel bearings, check steering knuckles for play before you diagnose further.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”