My climate control sounds like a hamster.

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Cracker

My climate control sounds like a hamster.

Postby Cracker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:01 am

It's a strange title, I know. I generally use the auto-climate. When I turn my 2005 PF off I hear strange noises coming from behind the AC/heater unit. It sounds like a hamster digging in a cage with wood chips. It also sounds like small electric motors turning on and off. Maybe there are some flaps that direct the air to the various ducts that are moving?? The sound is not an even pattern. In this regard it's sounds more like hamster, a lot like one actually. I've waited as long as 30 seconds maybe a minute for the noise to stop but it doesn't and I just get tired of waiting and go on about my business. It stops at some point. I can't say it's been a problem--everything works fine, I just wonder what the hell is going on.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:29 am

Mine has done this since I bought it. My HVAC however is a bit goofy (temp is all over the place) but I don't think the noise is really a problem. Maybe something is getting stuck in a loop for a bit? I agree it sounds like the controls for the dampers/blenders in the dash but I don't have any trouble with getting air to the right spot.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 am

it probly IS a hamster.... shivering for 30 seconds after you turn the AC off. :P

on a serious note,
what i find weird in this is that when u turn the car off, the blower completely shuts off, it doesnt go into any extra timing by itself. at least mine doesnt

are you sure its not coming from the CD player, or the main radiator fan? i'm more inclined to the CD player cause you mentioned the sound of motors. a bad CD can make that hamster sound as well since its a 6-cd switcher

dcogburn

Postby dcogburn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 pm

It most certainly isn't coming from the main radiator fan. I would bet small money that it's not coming from the CD player. I've never had any issues with the CD player. It never skips or jumps, always plays. I think it's the dampers fluttering up and down. Like little servo motors.

RBOWWOW

Any luck yet?

Postby RBOWWOW » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:20 pm

I too am looking for the exact cause of the cyclic noise in the dash. I suspect that it is the Fresh air Mixing door Mechanism. Souds as if there are missing teeth on a gear. I have a problem in thewinter where the Drivers side is freezing and the passenger is toasty warm.

Return to “R51 Electrical”