New Stereo Head Unit Install (and maybe new speakers...)

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

gear1975

New Stereo Head Unit Install (and maybe new speakers...)

Postby gear1975 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi guys,

I got a new JVC head unit to replace my stock "non-Bose" factory CD player and hope to tackle the installation this weekend.

I got the JVC KD-R730BT CD receiver from Crutchfield.com, and they included very detailed truck-specific instructions, PF wiring harness, in-dash receiver fitting kit, and antenna adapter.

I've never installed one of these before (in any of the vehicles I've owned), but Crutchfield seems to have all bases covered.

Any advice before I start to take apart my dash, fiddle around with wires and install a hands free mic?

Also, I'm considering replacing the front door 6x9 speaker and rear doof 6-3/4 speakers

... and maybe this too (c'mon Santa! I was good this year!). I really like the idea of installing this under the front pasenger seat and not lose any cargo space by installing some big bass-box:

Wish me luck!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:07 pm

cool. Have fun!

The dash comes apart really easily. Just don't do it when its cold, higher chance of cracking plastic parts and stuff.

t

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 am

Installed the replacement head unit yesterday, and it went really well. The only 2 parts that seemed the most challenging were:

1) Disengaging the factory harnesses from the original head unit. The trigger to release them was really, really tight. I thought I was going to break them!

2) Wiring up the vehicle specific wiring harness to the one that came with the stereo. Not difficult, but kinda time consuming.

Anyhow, here's some pics:

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

I wasn't sure where to put the external mic, so I put it here for now. Any suggestions? I was also hesitant on removing any more panels to run the wire.

For the first mod on my new (well, new for me anyhow) truck, I was pretty pleased with the result.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:45 am

Swap out you door speakers I believe they are only 2 Ohm...
Also you might want to move your microphone somewhere less conspicuous, I found the top of the A pillar to be both out of sight\mind and still reasonably quiet with the windows cracked (using Weathertech rain guards.)

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Hey Fofiddy,

If you have a resource on how to remove the panels required to get me to route the wire to the top of the A-Pilar, that would be awesome. Panel removal for the stereo seemed easy enough, I can't imagine removing the panes above the instrument cluster and a-pillar would be too tough. You do have to remove them right? :)

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:07 am

No need to remove any panels. Just run the wire behind the plastic in front of your knees and follow it to the seam where the door gasket/foot plate/dash meet. Pop the gasket off the door jam and tuck the wire behind the A pillar trim piece. It should squeeze right in with no bulging. I've had mine there for the past 5 years... Let me know if you need me to snap a pic.

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi Fofiddy,

I'd love a few quick picks of where you ran the wire. Mainly where "your knees are" etc, and the door jam is and up the a-pillar.

Also, a pic of the final mic location if its not too much trouble. I'm having trouble picturing it.

Thanks for your help!

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:58 am

Just yank out the head unit and run the cable into the drivers side footwell (tons of room, just shine a light in the footwell and look for your spot.)
Then pull out the gasket just enough.

Then, run the cable behind the knee trim (panel that's right below the steering wheel. If your worried about cable slack and noise, aside from going nuts zip tying the cable to everything, strategically place double sided tape (cleaning the contact points with alcohol first of-course) to keep everything tidy. Since the gasket pinches on to the metal, that gap has plenty of space and no real sharp edges to abrade the cable on.

Run the cable up and over the A pillar trim and, "tada"

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:01 am

This is great info Fofiddy, thank you!

I'll give this a whirl this weekend. I really thought you'd have to access behind the instrument cluster/dash to run the wire. (du-h!)

Return to “R51 Electrical”