Transfer fluid not going in

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Supergohan

Transfer fluid not going in

Postby Supergohan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 am

Hi there, I was doing my transfer fluid change and no matter what I've tried I cannot get the full 3.2 quarts into it.. I currently have the rear end jacked up a good foot off of the ground vs when I had it level and it hasn't made much of a difference.. I've only been able to get 1.8 quarts in... Is that all it's supposed to take? The book lists it at 3.2 and even 2.3 for the part time case and i cant even get that in while I have the all time case! What do I do? Jack it up higher? Deflate the front tires? Is there another place to fill from? I've been working on this for a week now trying to find any sort of answer and I haven't found anything and I don't know what else to do.... Please help!
Ps I know that I had gotten all the old fluid out because before I put the drain plug back in I put a little bit of fluid through it let it drain out before closing the drain plug and starting to fill it up

Supergohan

Postby Supergohan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:49 am

Since no one has seemed to run into this problem and have a solution could someone tell me at what angle does their transfer case sit at? After getting mine a foot off the ground in the rear the transfer case is barely at level! What do your guys sit at while still on the ground? Thank you if anyone can help please

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:55 pm

What year is your Pathy? Fill plug should be about halfway up on the rear case.

Supergohan

Postby Supergohan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:17 am

it is a 2002 but i know where the fill plug is, I am trying to determine what angle the transfer case normally sits at, say sloped upwards towards the back, Level, Or sloped downwards towards the back, Mine naturally sloped downwards towards the back so when I opened the fill plug, fluid started gushing out of it! After jacking it a solid foot off the ground the transfer case is barely level with the ground. So I'm trying to determine if I need to raise the rear end more and maybe get the transfer case sloped downwards towards the front

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm

I believe the transfer case has a slight tilt toward the rear. I've always serviced them on a lift, so the vehicle is pretty much the same angle as it would by on the ground, +/-.

Supergohan

Postby Supergohan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Okay thank you, how much fluid do you put into your transfer case and do you use the regular fill plug or do you use another spot?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:59 pm

I worked for Nissan as a tech for 16 years, but left in 2003, so I really don't recall how much the R50's took in the transfer case. Currently I have an R51, so that doesn't realy apply. I looked up a 2004 R50 on ALLDATA and it showed the same quantities as you listed. I use the factory fill plug when servicing mine. I have a fluid transfer pump that I use to fill the transfer cases and diffs I work on; it makes it a lot easier. There usually isn't enough room to get a funnel in an upright position. The one I use looks something like this:

http://www.mechanicstoolsupply.com/Flui ... 19008.html

Supergohan

Postby Supergohan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:42 am

did you ever run into a situation as mine where you could not get all of the listed amount in?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:45 pm

I don't recall ever having that problem.

IanH

Postby IanH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:13 am

So if you filled it to the fill plug level, Then run the car round the block, and re-check level ? Did it change ?
I don't see you can do much, I looked up this transfer case and It has a pump and valving like an Auto box, so maybe it doesn't all drain out.

IanH

Postby IanH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:15 am

Did you measure how much fluid came out when you drained it ?

Supergohan

Postby Supergohan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:59 am

Yes. 3 quarts came out

IanH

Postby IanH » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:46 pm

did you solve this ?

Supergohan

Postby Supergohan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:51 pm

no, we were never able to get the full three quarts in but we got nissan into a tight spot where they wouldnt give us a "direct answer" what we believe it is is that the three quarts is only applicable to a rebuild or at the factory when it is filled and nissan never wanted to fix their error "so they did not have to repay all those people whom were charged for three quarts even though the truck cannot take it" I had eventually gotten the truck onto two cinder blocks (so i had about a foot and a half or two underneath the tires) i was able to get 2.25 quarts into the truck. I felt unsafe going any higher and all the answers we were getting (countless dealers/transmission places in the area and even multiple dealerships in various states as i was travelling during this) and they all said you simply fill it till it comes out. nissan gave us a credit towards having the dealership do it (but considering we knew they wouldnt go through the effort like we did to get more than just 1.2 quarts in it, and they could not guarantee us that they could even get it in or that the transfer case would not fail after them "filling" it so we figured we were better off) we used the credit for a different service instead. so far we've put about 1000 miles since then including a very long drive {12 HOURS!!} following a snowstorm/blizzard from nj to nh in 4 wheel the whole time, so far so good [knock on wood] no noises no nothing yet so we're still keeping our fingers crossed!

IanH

Postby IanH » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:47 am

So as I suspected because it has a pump and valving like an Auto box, it doesn't all drain out.

I am concerned you have now over filled the transfer case.
I recommend you pull fill plug with the vehicle level and let any excess run out.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”