07' Pathfinder Trans Fluid

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ianpath07

07' Pathfinder Trans Fluid

Postby ianpath07 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 am

Hello all.. New to here. I have a 2007 Pathfinder 4.0 V6 5pd auto. I'm a little worried that my transmission is going. It tends to rumble in overdrive and takes a bit to come out of it. Shifts through all forward gears pretty smooth. I'm well aware of the mixing of antifreeze and transmission fluid. I took it to a nissan dealer to have them confirm if its the issue and they say its fine. They want to pull the transmission fluid and re-fill it.

Just today I drained a bit of fluid into a half of 1 liter Pepsi bottle. Is the fluid suppose to be dark brown? I'm not sure what the factory Nissan J matic fluid is suppose to look like. I assumed RED like all the others and its has zero signs of the color red. Its possible that different types have been put in and mixed maybe to make the color. OR its really mixing with antifreeze. I'm waiting for my sample to settle. Usually water or antifreeze will settle to the top. I would think if there's antifreeze in the trans, then I'd have more erratic behavior by now.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm

If its never been changed, then the brownish color is normal. Its time to do a drain and fill, possibly a few in succession. When you drain the trans, it only lets out 4 quarts out of 15. So every time you do a drain and fill, 4/15 of the trans fluid is new. So if you calculate it out, 3 drain and fills gets you to 60% fresh fluid in your transmission.

4/15 = 26% new, 74% old

.74 x .74 x .74 = 60% new, 40% old

Hope that makes sense.

t

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 pm

I changed the ATF in my 06 PF / auto at around 100k miles. I am going to try and post a pic of the fluid that came out, the new fluid and the fluid after a few hundred miles after changing. When I check it now at nearly 110 thousand miles, the fluid has a cherry red color to it, but tinnged with some brown. I need to change it a few more times, although it is shifting good. I used Valvoline MaxLife fuid

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”