SLR Motorsports Performance Chip Problems

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

SimulatedZero

SLR Motorsports Performance Chip Problems

Postby SimulatedZero » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:31 pm

So, one of my friends just pointed out that I have a performance chip mounted on top of my air intake. I don't know how I completely missed this, but sure enough, it's there. It just happens to be a SLR Performance chip. I did some research and found that it was a huge scam company. Now I want to remove it. Here's the thing, I don't what I will be affecting by simply cutting wires and removing the sensor.

The other thing is that I think this might explain the knocking I've been getting. I've noticed that I tend to get a bit of knocking around the low 2000 to 2500 RPM. At first I thought this was from running 87 octane and have switched to blending 89 and 93 for a 91 octane mix. This has helped, but the knocking is still there. Now knowing that the sensor is complete crap, nothing but a gate wire from what I hear. I think that the knocking may be caused by the ECU not getting the proper air intake signals to adjust the mixture with. What do you guys think and suggest?

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Pics? I agree completely. That garbage needs tone removed. Could be the cause of your spark knock. Now I have worked on a couple 4.0's with heavy carbon deposits causing spark knock from 87 octane. Does it completely disappear with 93 octane? If so you may want to try a chemical de-carbon

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:51 pm

tlee_20 wrote: If so you may want to try a chemical de-carbon
Are you talking about a gas tank additive?

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Using the higher octane gas has not stopped the knocking. It has lessened it some, but it is still there. There is an air sensor in there still, so I think the ECU is just getting some slightly skewed data instead of no data at all. Either way I still think that this may be the culprit for the knocking.

Here are a few images of the chip, wiring, and air sensor.

IMG_20130122_134138_724 by SimulatedZero, on Flickr

IMG_20130122_134158_419 by SimulatedZero, on Flickr

IMG_20130122_134218_196 by SimulatedZero, on Flickr

Untitled by SimulatedZero, on Flickr

Untitled by SimulatedZero, on Flickr

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Bump. Looking for some advice in this still. I don't want to just rip it out without a replacement. Any good suggestions on a replacement chip or on the next step?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:50 pm

Is there a manual or website for this thing? Hard to give advice not knowing anything about it.

From the pictures is it plugged into anything other than sensors? Can you look through the engine control section of the service manual here and figure out what harness and sensors it's plugged into?

smj999smj
    Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:05 pm

They have a website (www.slrmotorsports.com) but no instructions at the site. All it really is is a resistor to lean out out the mixture, which why it is probably knocking. Looks like just two wires Scotch-connected into two of the MAS wires. Undo the scotch connectors and insulate the broken wire insulation of the MAS wires after you remove them. Should be the only thing you need to disconnect. Remove and plant the SLR chip in your nearest trash can! If you want to increase your vehicle's performance, look into a performance programmer like Superchip's or Bully Dog.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 am

I meant to reply yesterday, but I ended up passing out really early in the day. I saw their website and like you mentioned smj, there were no instructions that I could find. I tried to look up the wiring in the service manual here on the site, but I couldn't find it. I did find this link, but I couldn't get anywhere on it or find the links to the specific sections. If someone could tell me where I went wrong, that would be helpful.

From what I understand from your post smj, you are saying to just cut the wires leading in the SLR '"chip" and connect them to each other to complete the loop? If so, that sounds stupid simple. I had hesitated on doing this before because I wasn't sure if it needed to be replaced with something OEM to fill in the missing data, but apparently not.

smj999smj
    Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:43 am

These "chips" really are simple in nature and do not take the place of an original piece of equipment on your vehicle; they simply modify the signal that goes back to the ECM to "trick" the ECM into adjusting the engine management on basis of this false value. If you look at the next to last pic you posted, you see the two, red Scotch-connectors that are splicing into the mass air sensor wires. These Scotch-connectors will unlatch and open up so you can un-splice the wires from the "chip's" wires. You should then be able to remove the "chip" from your vehicle.

eieio
    Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:02 pm

when you un-splice the wires at the connectors, make sure the wires are not damaged (partially cut through) by the blade in the connector
    if they are, repair them
    and be sure to repair the damaged insulation with shrink tubing

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Easy peasy, I just finished putting in a couple of airbags in the rear coils and I'll do a road test by running over to walmart and picking up some heat shrinks. The only Performance Chip I would run would be something like a BullyDog Tuner, but that's farther down the road.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Done and done. No more knocking, just a deep, clean sound to the engine now. Appreciate all the help guys.

eieio
    Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:03 pm

excellent! :D

smj999smj
    Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Bully Dog and Superchips aren't "chips," but ECM reprogramers. The nice thing about them is that you can adjust according to the fuel octane you use, remove the wide open throttle restriction and is easy to do...and, if you want...undo. It will save your factory ECM program information.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”