New Tire Recommendations: 4x4 Mixed Highway/Off Road?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

OurPathfinder

New Tire Recommendations: 4x4 Mixed Highway/Off Road?

Postby OurPathfinder » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 pm

We are looking into some new tires in the coming months and are curious what other people are using on their PF's?

We live in Colorado and are looking for a good all-season tire with tread mostly for highway, but offers a good mix of snow driving, wet rainy roads, and an occasional off road tire.

When I say off road, I mean minimally. No rock crawling (that's why I have ATV's). :)

I know there are a wide price range available for tires as we all know, so I guess I would say we're looking in the sub $700 price range for all 4 tires.

Any information and help would be greatly appreciated!

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:33 pm

Just a question have you had any problem with your OEM supplied tires. Would those give you about what you are now looking for in terms of handling and traction?

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:13 pm

You know the stock tires aren't bad. However we have only owned the PF for a few months and had purchased it with only 13,000 Miles on the odometer. We are at 17,000 miles now and there is already significant tire wear. I have checked the pressure and it's good all the way around, as well as the alignment. We even mentioned it to our dealer and they said that's how the tires wear. I disagree. I think one should be able to get around 25,000-35,000 miles out of a set of tires driving without towing or off roading. Obviously towing or off roading will reduce tire life, and we know the previous owner only used it on the highway and didn't do any towing. So...

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:20 pm

I can't dispute tire wear, what OEM tires did you get with the truck?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Toyo Opencountry AT
Bridgestone Revo AT
Yokohama Geolander AT+II

Are my recomendations since you said you would do any offroading. My OEM Generals got me stuck in wet grass once, horrible tires. Your probably running BFG longtrails which I've heard also suck quite a bit.
Not going to give you the best (or the worst) fuel economy but if you are going off road even a little you will need the agressive sidewalls with staggered corners.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:10 am

I went from the Gen. Grabbers (put about 35K miles on them) to Pirelli Scorpion ATR's -- WOW, SO much better in ever respect except MPG (more rolling resistance has cost me about 1-1.5mpg). I have used them in both mud and snow, but mostly on the road. VAST improvement at all times.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:27 am

I switched to Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. Had them about 5k miles now and they are great on the road - wet or dry conditions. The are fine for mild off-roading, but don't do well in mud (nearly got stuck).
One good thing is they come with a 50k mileage warranty. Price was $164/tire - but afer all the add-ons (balancing, valve stems, tax, enviro fees...) total cost was $796.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:36 am

I've been nothing but delighted with my BFG AT KOs. I don't have a lot of expiriance with various flavors of semi-off-road tires, but FWIW these have been working great on the pavement and incredible off-road compared to stock.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:20 am

I recently replaced my BFG Rugged Trails with Bridgestone Revos. While researching new tires, I did find out that the BFGs supplied to Nissan for OEM are not the same as the same brand & model if purchased at a store. They are made special for Nissan (they also make them special for Toyota, etc.). Basically very little tread on the OEM, a different tread pattern & who knows what else.

The Revos have been great on wet roads, snow & dirt. But, they are still essentially brand new, so I wouldn't expect any less from any new tire.

My OEM next to the Revo:

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:32 am

I went through a set of Toyo Open Country AT on my Xterra a few years back and when I had to get new tires for the Path, I did a lot of comparisons and based on personal experience and other user revieew went with the same set again. I do a lot of highway in all conditions and occasionaly get off pavement for light off roading. I find Toyos very capable and low on road noise at the same time.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:10 pm

These may be a little too aggressive for your purposes. I've been using Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs for a while now and I'm very happy with them. I'm beginning to notice them on a lot of trucks here in Colorado. They are dynamite in the snow, great for our trails, they clear mud well and are very quiet on the highway. You can't get a better all around tire for your Pathfinder. They're pretty cheap too. Check out my thread for these tires:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2066

bigmankz

Postby bigmankz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 pm

am riding on Yokohama Gelonadar AT G012. Very capable tires. I rode about 15k miles on them and there's more than half of the tread left. I think they will run for about 25-30k miles easily. Very good on highway. decent in sands. way better on wet than BFG AT. in my opinion the best allaround tire for weekend warrior. I use them from early spring to latefall and some times get to ride in snow on them. the traction on icy or hardpack snow is ok, a bit better than summer only tires but I won't risk riding on them all year round especially in the mountains. fro winter i use nokian hakkapelitta SUV

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:09 am

I've used the Michelin LTX M/S with great success...... Triffid

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:08 am

OurPathfinder wrote:You know the stock tires aren't bad. However we have only owned the PF for a few months and had purchased it with only 13,000 Miles on the odometer. We are at 17,000 miles now and there is already significant tire wear. I have checked the pressure and it's good all the way around, as well as the alignment. We even mentioned it to our dealer and they said that's how the tires wear. I disagree. I think one should be able to get around 25,000-35,000 miles out of a set of tires driving without towing or off roading. Obviously towing or off roading will reduce tire life, and we know the previous owner only used it on the highway and didn't do any towing. So...
Another perfect example why you don't trust the stealership! :x

I'm already at 52K on my stockers and yes I'm shopping for replacements already. Stock tires should get you at LEAST 40K at normal driving condition. If you're showing significant wear. There's either something wrong with your alignment, pressure or style of driving (aggressive).

If your tires are bad, it should be covered under warranty.

On another note, has anyone tried Firestone Destination A/T?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Firestone Destination A/T. I put them on my pathy when my O.E.s wore out. love them. quiet as a summer tread and tons of grip.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”