Pulling engine + tranny

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

the_path

Postby the_path » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:23 pm

moymurfs wrote::twisted:
It's a bitch :!:
Is there a nut/bolt holding it or does it pop off or both? :shock:

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:14 pm

the_path wrote:
moymurfs wrote::twisted:
It's a bitch :!:
Is there a nut/bolt holding it or does it pop off or both? :shock:

It's actually 2 metal pieces. There is a flat "base" piece that slides into one side of the connector. This makes up the mounting of the connector. The second piece of metal forms a shroud over the connector (that's the piece in the way I think). The connector is the typical slide in type and the "lock tab" needs to be pushed down, not lifted like some, to release it. The 2 metal pieces are attached to the tranny housing with a 10mm bolt that you can't get to :cry:

My "trick" to getting the connector apart without breaking it was this... I had a straight 3' piece of brake/fuel tubing that I bent over the last 1" into a sharp "j". I hooked the locking tab on the connector and was able to depress it and yank it apart at the same time. Ideally, I would use something that doesn't bend as easy as the aluminum brake line as it took me a couple of times since it would bend back open.
You can bend the bracket around so you can better reach the connector without breaking the connector's wire.

the_path

Postby the_path » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:17 pm

I was looking at it and it almost seems like it runs up behind the engine and to a connector on the intake manifold used for vacuum (haven't figured out what it is yet). I can't be sure 100%. Hopefully i get a chance to work on that tomorrow and get the stanking motor out finally....

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:12 pm

the_path wrote:I was looking at it and it almost seems like it runs up behind the engine and to a connector on the intake manifold used for vacuum (haven't figured out what it is yet). I can't be sure 100%. Hopefully i get a chance to work on that tomorrow and get the stanking motor out finally....
The connector wires go from the connector back up and disappear into the harness under the intake manifold. There is no way to simply disconnect it up top :cry:

the_path

Postby the_path » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:06 pm

That sucks! I if i get a chance tomorrow i'll pop a few aleve and go at it...

the_path

Postby the_path » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Update:

Motor is out!!! I couldn't get the flywheel sensor unhooked so i ended up ripping the wires. No worries. I'll just have to buy a new or used sensor and rewire it (probably longer). Good news is that the torque converter stayed inside the transmission without falling out, no mess!!! Now just gonna wait for another good paycheck to get the motor...

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:18 pm

Which end ripped off?

the_path

Postby the_path » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:28 pm

I may end up having trouble getting that pigtail. It broke off right at the connector.

the_path

Postby the_path » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 pm

If i could find the connector with at least a inch of wire on it i could solder them but i guess when i get the other engine that should be on there hopefully.

the_path

Postby the_path » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Well i got another engine but am in the slow process of replacing the gaskets, swapping over the distributor, inside engine harness, intake manifold, changing the timing belt, and new water pump. Can't wait for this thing to be done...

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:00 pm

Keep at it.. Now you should start getting a semi-warm day here and there...those are a BIG help :wink:

the_path

Postby the_path » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:37 pm

moymurfs wrote:Keep at it.. Now you should start getting a semi-warm day here and there...those are a BIG help :wink:
I actually got pretty far into it today. Changed the valve cover gaskets, changed the harness (injector harness), the intake manifold, put on the distributor and took off the top timing cover and lucky me there is a NEW timing belt and water pump already installed.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:54 pm

:!:
Some advice; Since you have the Intake manifold off get a new Idle Air Control Valve! Remember, it has all the miles/hours of the old motor. It is an absolute pain to get to as the intake must be completely off to get to it. It is bolted to it under the left rear corner. Nothing like getting it all buttoned up just for it to crap out after a couple thousand miles. :twisted:

the_path

Postby the_path » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:13 pm

I finally have a running and driving Pathfinder. I put probably about 30 hours total and sustained enough scratches, bruises, shit in my eyes, and back aches to keep me in a bit of pain for a few days. Yesterday i finished the reassembly and couldn't get it to start and then i realized i had a few ignition wires crossed but thank god i have my other pathfinder to use as reference. It runs and idles smooth but once i get all the exhaust stuff bolted up i noticed a leaky muffler but non the less i'm happy. My hard work and determination payed off...

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:16 pm

Congrats! glad to hear it's running. My son limped mine back from PA with some sort of fluctuating,erratic idle/condition. Today I pulled the intake off of it and installed a new idle air control valve...no change :cry: I've cleaned the t-body etc etc still no change..

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”