Hello All

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Pathmyway

Hello All

Postby Pathmyway » Fri May 03, 2013 4:55 pm

I just purchased a 2005 Pathfinder and had the transmission rebuilt. She wont shift out of first (Automatic). I am thinking it is a valve body issue. I have seen some DIY's on cleaning and siliconing the valve body but expecting to have to buy one. Is there any good place to get one other than the stealership?
Thanks al

Pathmyway

Postby Pathmyway » Tue May 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Wow
This is a little different from the Viper Truck Club. I would have had people bidding to sell me one. Is there another forum that has activity that someone could suggest. 47 Views and not one damn hello....

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed May 08, 2013 5:53 am

Haven't seen many on this forum with Transmission issues other than the infamous leaking trans cooler.

I've seen some more in depth posts on clubfrontier, if I recall the solenoids are a weak point, and if you can figure out which one is giving you grief, you can replace pretty easily.

I myself would be at my local trans shop for that, I've never done anything inside the pan.

Have you ruled out the radiator trans cooler?

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 am

Pathmyway wrote:Wow
This is a little different from the Viper Truck Club. I would have had people bidding to sell me one. Is there another forum that has activity that someone could suggest. 47 Views and not one damn hello....
Yes, fortunately there's just not a ton of work that's been done on these. The vast majority of transmission failures have been due to coolant contamination from a bad radiator...and most just replace the entire unit with a factory rebuild. Other than that I've never seen a transmission go bad around here.

Who did the rebuild? I've seen some real crap from places like AAMCO or chain transmission shops. Was there no warranty offered with the rebuild?

Pathmyway

Postby Pathmyway » Sat May 11, 2013 7:14 am

My father in law owns a transmission shop and is one of the best. I ordered the solenoids and am going to try silicone on the TCM. I saw a post on you tube with what looks like the same valve body. I got it for 2K and once this is behind me should be good to go.

Pathmyway

Postby Pathmyway » Sat May 11, 2013 7:16 am

I believe we have taken the trans cooler out of the equation. Is it as simple as removing the coolant line that leads to the tranny and cycling it back into the radiator then adding an aftermarket trans cooler?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Pathmyway wrote:I believe we have taken the trans cooler out of the equation. Is it as simple as removing the coolant line that leads to the tranny and cycling it back into the radiator then adding an aftermarket trans cooler?
There's two parts to the transmission cooling. The first round runs the coolant through the main radiator and then it goes to the actual transmission
cooler (located in front of the radiator). Most bypass the radiator and just have the lines run in/out of the tranny cooler. There's really no need for an aftermarket transmission cooler as the factory unit seems to do a good job even without going to the radiator first. If you're doing a lot of towing it might be worth adding another cooler but there's quite a few folks around here towing that report good temps with the bypass in place. Search for "by-pass" and you should get lots of info on doing this.

Pathmyway

Postby Pathmyway » Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks Skinny. I will do that and make sure we did the bypass correctly.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”