Are the newer fuel level senders more erratic?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

jspitz

Are the newer fuel level senders more erratic?

Postby jspitz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 am

Originally my fuel gauge was pretty solid and reliable, but the sender was replaced at 42k miles when it was (probably incorrectly) diagnosed as the problem with an evap leak. At the time I paid 50% of labor cost at the dealer, and have since been reimbursed by Nissan's customer service after the recall notice.

The 2nd sender would stick on E about 1 out of every 3 fill-ups, and would take between 15 minutes and 3/4 of a tank to appear to reach a quorum with the actual fuel level.

I had the 2nd sender replaced in January this year under recall, and have had huge issues with it below half a tank. It will drop rapidly, then slowly climb back up.

This morning it went from a half tank to flashing "-----" and blinking the yellow light in under 2 miles on a straight slight downhill. It was so drastic, I got out of the car to make sure the tank wasn't ruptured. 8 miles later, it was close to reading a half tank, and showing 92 miles DTE (I probably have 150+).

Is the new sender susceptible to dropping quickly or something? Today was extreme, but this is happening on nearly every tank.

I plan to try to get this replaced again, but preferably not at the dealership that did it in January since they couldn't be bothered to tighten the oil filter access hatch - I managed to recover it and one of the bolts after I heard it clang down the road around a turn :evil:

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:35 am

I have about 60k miles on my replacement fuel level sensor and no issues whatsoever. When I compared the original sensor to the replacement one, the replacement sensor appeared to be a better and more robust design. Specifically the metal contacts were thicker. These contacts had become worn and had caused the original sensor to read erractically. Take a look at the second picture in this article.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CCwQrQMwAA

Return to “R51 Electrical”