How do you replace a power outlet cover (2010 Pathfinder)?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

DanHNY

How do you replace a power outlet cover (2010 Pathfinder)?

Postby DanHNY » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:04 am

I have a 2010 Pathfinder S. The power outlet cover snapped off when my knee hit it. I got a replacement, but can't figure out how to get the old one off.
I took off drivers side dash to look behind but I am at a loss? Seems like a simple part that is a huge pain for me to replace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
-Dan

DanHNY

Postby DanHNY » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:51 am

There are two power supply outlets in between radio and glove box, this is one of them. If I can replace this one first (one on top) I may do other too.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 am

same problem here :(
i've tried many times to remove the old covers (without doing further damage to something else) :oops:
I have 2 new covers ready to install
i think it's one of those things that once you've done it, it turns out to be a piece of cake
but until then.................

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:07 am

Pictures? Maybe if one of you posts a pic of the replacement part & a pic of the existing outlet, one of the great minds here can figure it out for you.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:55 pm

NVSteve wrote:Pictures? Maybe if one of you posts a pic of the replacement part & a pic of the existing outlet, one of the great minds here can figure it out for you.
on my way out of town until mid-next week
when I get back, i'll post some pictures
thanks,
eieio

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:09 pm

well, it's not a piece of cake, but here's how I got mine done:
drop down lower glove box for electrical connector access
remove connector from back of power outlet (helps to have a mirror & flashlight)
literally push (and gently pry) the outlet out of the dash from behind, keeping the (broken) plastic cover in place until the outlet is removed (this is not a gentle operation)
a little silicone spray helps
remove the broken cover
install the new cover into the dash
push the outlet firmly through the new cover into the dash (a little silicone spray helps)
re-connect the electrical connector
test the circuit
:D

DanHNY

mine 2010

Postby DanHNY » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:45 am

Ok Thanks,
However, since my Pathfinder is a 2010 I believe it is different?
Seems like some kind of clip(s) from behind it preventing me from pushing it out of the dash?? I tried, but I am going to definitely break something. I did use a mirror with a light to check it out. Looks like clips or something holding it. I don't feel like destroying the dash or causing more damage.
Glad it worked out for you. Suppose I will have dealer do it next time I bring it in for something.
If anyone has any other ideas until than please share.....
:cry:

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:14 am

Seriously guys, remove the dash trim panels and gain access to the back. From there (or before) it should all be self explanatory.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:21 am

eieio wrote:well, it's not a piece of cake, but here's how I got mine done:
remove connector from back of power outlet (helps to have a mirror & flashlight)
literally push (and gently pry) the outlet out of the dash from behind, keeping the (broken) plastic cover in place until the outlet is removed (this is not a gentle operation)
remove the broken cover
push the outlet firmly through the new cover into the dash (a little silicone spray helps)
test the circuit
Umm, seriously. It is a piece of cake. Interior trim is for some people and for some it is not... I just can't comprehend this even being a thread topic though... I've been a mechanic foe 18 years so maybe I should shut my big mouth... Interior trim is the *easiest* thing to deal with, just get to pulling the panels, they all pop right off....

I'm sorry for the abrupt comment, it's just that i could have the entire interior trim out of my Path in 30 mins, including front and back seats, dash, radio and have time to finish my beer i started with... just saying...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:27 am

staynlean wrote:
eieio wrote:well, it's not a piece of cake, but here's how I got mine done:
remove the broken cover
test the circuit
Umm, seriously. It is a piece of cake. Interior trim is for some people and for some it is not... I just can't comprehend this even being a thread topic though... I've been a mechanic foe 18 years so maybe I should shut my big mouth... Interior trim is the *easiest* thing to deal with, just get to pulling the panels, they all pop right off....

I'm sorry for the abrupt comment, it's just that i could have the entire interior trim out of my Path in 30 mins, including front and back seats, dash, radio and have time to finish my beer i started with... just saying...
:o
well, oh my, aren't you supremely skilled & superior to those of us who have the audacity to post about something that you can't "comprehend" even being a topic thread
perhaps we should submit our thread topics to you for your approval before we post
sorry you wasted your time reading this thread that was generated and contributed to by people having trouble with something that you are the master of
and you should be sorry for the abrupt comment............
Last edited by eieio on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:29 am

staynlean wrote:Seriously guys, remove the dash trim panels and gain access to the back. From there (or before) it should all be self explanatory.
no dash panels were necessary to remove to do this job :wink:

DanHNY

Postby DanHNY » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:42 am

Thank You for your help / advise eieio.

.....as for Staynlean................ I am not a mechanic this why I posted the question.....

Just seems like in my truck there are clips or something on the inside preventing me from pushing the whole unit with cover out. I am capable of removing the passenger dash to gain access. I have done this a few times, but I feel like I am going to break something? I will wait till the next time I am at the dealer, or I come across a friend or neighbor that can assist.

Thanks.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:14 am

Another option is to fixing the cover is to get a mini USB charger adapter which will basically sit in the accessory port flush. It almost looks OEM/built-in.

Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Charger-Ada ... 35cbeb2635

This can be nice in the older Pathys with no USB ports.

I think this is actually the one I got and it has a cool blue led power indicator light also:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Mini- ... 2a21031caa

Return to “R51 Electrical”