Overheating of the PF cabin

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Overheating of the PF cabin

Postby Gray » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:37 am

Coopers postings of rolling down all four windows kind of reminded me of a problem that I've noticed with this low roof line PF in that if sitting in the sun the interior gets really hot really quick. Have any here pulled the roof liner and installed some additional insulation along the roof top or is there another solution.

We only get a few really hot sunny days in this part of Canada, but if I was living further south I'd be looking at this a serious problem. :)

me&pathy

Re: Overheating of the PF cabin

Postby me&pathy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:20 pm

Greybrick wrote:Coopers postings of rolling down all four windows kind of reminded me of a problem that I've noticed with this low roof line PF in that if sitting in the sun the interior gets really hot really quick. Have any here pulled the roof liner and installed some additional insulation along the roof top or is there another solution.

We only get a few really hot sunny days in this part of Canada, but if I was living further south I'd be looking at this a serious problem. :)

i dont think it gets that bad and i live in the central valley here in california and it dosent get to bad in the pathfinder

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:04 am

Greybrick,
I thought you were all about weight savings on your truck. Adding insulation will add more and go against what you were trying to do.

As for being to hot, the AC works so well that it's cool before it gets unbearable. We've been having 100 degree days here the last week and haven't stressed over the insulation.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:47 pm

boogyman wrote:Greybrick,
I thought you were all about weight savings on your truck. Adding insulation will add more and go against what you were trying to do.

As for being to hot, the AC works so well that it's cool before it gets unbearable. We've been having 100 degree days here the last week and haven't stressed over the insulation.
3M Thinsulate provides a good lightweight thermal solution so that the AC would work less giving some additional improved fuel economy. The upside for this area is that the truck would stay more comfortable in our -40C temperatures as well.

Coating some of the windows with Low E film would also help control heat gains, leading to further less usage of the AC unit.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:27 am

Greybrick wrote:Coopers postings of rolling down all four windows kind of reminded me of a problem that I've noticed with this low roof line PF in that if sitting in the sun the interior gets really hot really quick...
...We only get a few really hot sunny days in this part of Canada, but if I was living further south I'd be looking at this a serious problem. :)
Low roof line or not, interiors getting hot on a sunny day in Texas just happens. When a car is parked all day in the direct sunlight, insulation between the headliner and roof ain't gonna stop it from getting over 140F inside.
All I can do to try and help it is use a sunshade in the windshield, and park in the shade whenever I can find some. Thats about the best it gets with a typical Texas summer.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:37 am

BMXPath wrote:Low roof line or not, interiors getting hot on a sunny day in Texas just happens. When a car is parked all day in the direct sunlight, insulation between the headliner and roof ain't gonna stop it from getting over 140F inside.
All I can do to try and help it is use a sunshade in the windshield, and park in the shade whenever I can find some. Thats about the best it gets with a typical Texas summer.
I'd have to agree. There isn't one vehicle on the roads that can deal with lots of heat & direct sunlight effectively, period. Having a hot interior is just the nature of the beast. I'm very used to hopping into the PF after work to a 120F-140F interior. Kind of hard to get rid of the heat when we are essentially driving greenhouses on wheels.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Tint your windows and use a sunshade on your windshield...that's probably about all you can do short of a full out cover for the truck.

The cabin heats up not due to conduction or convection, but radiation entering through the windows, hitting the seats and converting to heat. Installing insulation under the headliner would be counterproductive and would only keep more heat inside the cabin, insulating the hot cabin from the cooler air outside.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”