LT vs P pros and cons

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:39 pm

With the weight of that boat, you would be fine either way. I think the LT will help reduce your chances of punctures. I know the GYSA in the LT tire also have an E range, but your boat I don't think will require you to go that extreme. There are others on this forum that tow heavy camp trailers that the E range LT tire would be more beneficial for them.

As for the OEM long trails, I'd never buy those. Only reason I had them was because they came with the car. They were horrible in wet weather and they didn't even last 30k miles on my Pathfinder. My duratracs I have on now have been great in wet, snow, and off road. Have lasted over 40k miles. The only reason I plan to go with the GYSA when I get new tires are my wife drives the pathfinder the most and the GYSA I think I can get more mileage out of them while not sacrificing too much performance.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:49 pm

volvite wrote: Only reason I had them was because they came with the car. They were horrible in wet weather and they didn't even last 30k miles on my Pathfinder.
Spot on. I gave up on them for exactly those reasons although my patience only lasted to 21K. They were stepping out in damp conditions with the slightest nudge of the gas pedal. To answer Dim's question above, I went with the Ps, just the stock 265/65/17 size. I've only done about 400 miles on them so far so not too much to say yet, but they seem fine. I have them about 38 psi. I think they may be slightly (and I mean really only a little bit) noisier at 30-40 mph than the long trails, but at highway speeds there is no difference at all. They do ride noticeably better (more smoothly) than the long trails. The price is a bit eye-watering (mine were about $1100, inc mounting, road hazard and alignment) but tires seem a silly thing to get cheap on.

Over the break I'll be doing a good 3500 miles on them so I'll post a more informed update then, but so far I'm happy. You know, it only just occurred to me that it was rained lightly here today for the first time since about september (just enough to lift the greasy road residue...) and I drove home from work without noticing any loss of traction at all.

Dim.

Postby Dim. » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks, guys!

LT with load range "C" is only 10$ more comparing to P so I'll try LT for this set.

Dim.

Postby Dim. » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Went with LT265/70-17 Looking at the car right now - not a big difference but I like it better ...

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Well, after 3612 miles in two weeks, I have to say I am sold on the silent armors. As happens this time of year, we drove through everything from dry to very wet to 2-3 inches of fresh snow to squashed ice and even some mud tooling about on the in-laws farm. The tires were outstanding, very stable and solid feel throughout. There may be a bit of a mileage penalty, I guess even the Ps are a bit heavier than the stock long trails, but I'll have to wait to get a better bead on that. All in all on the trip I only got 16.3 mpg, but that was quite a bit of 80 mph driving with a Yakima box on the roof the whole time and loaded up with kids, dog and absurd amounts of crap. Still, last year on a 1200 mile trip with similar load and the box I got about 17.5, but I'm not sure if the tires were the culprit. Need to do a highway run without the box, but that will have to wait. Definitely recommend the tires wholeheartedly though and if my mpgs have gone from crap to slightly worse, well, worth the cost I reckon.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”