LT vs P pros and cons

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

leadpig

LT vs P pros and cons

Postby leadpig » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Looking for some tire advice here. I am fed up with the OE Long Trails (crap in the wet) and with a Christmas 3500 mile round trip looming I'd prefer to change before I go. Generally, my driving consists of city/highway and some time off road. Nothing particularly gnarly but regularly (weekly) on dirt or rocky/sandy desert for a mile or two to a trailhead or something. Round here the rocks tend to be sharp, although I have not put a hole in the Long Trails yet (and the distance/technicality doesn't warrant airing down) but then I don't over-exert them for fear of doing just that.

I'm thinking of a few different brands, all AT (Yokohamas, Firestones, Michelins and the new Goodyear kevlar Wrangler Adventure). I know there's much useful info and good opinions elsewhere on this site but one basic question is the title of this thread - LT or P rating? I just got a quote for the goodyears from a local store. Apparently I have both options in the OE size (265-65-17) and the price difference is only about $10/tire with the LTs higher (both rated for 60K miles) but available much sooner. I understand the LT will be stronger and heavier, but will this translate into a harsher ride? What kind of pressures do those of you running LTs use? Are they likely to be louder even with the same tread pattern? Also, these goodyears are newly released, so hardly any tire rack or other reviews - anyone have any experience with them?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:50 pm

I have had both. The LTs were LT265/75/16s, Bridgestone Dueler REV02s. They were heavy, and it was noticeable. For instance, when you put your vehicle in drive, usually you need to apply the brake to prevent from rolling forward. With these tires, I didn't have to do that.

Switched back to the same tire, but P265/70/16s, and when I put the vehicle in D, I have to apply the brake to ensure I don't roll forward.

To me, this shows that the weight and rolling resistance were much higher. Although I felt like a boss in the truck when I had the bigger tires, I don't think it was worth the fuel economy I lost.

t

not on the rug

tires

Postby not on the rug » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:30 pm

I've actually been blown away by the performance of the toyo open country at2. I bought them in 285-70-17. Great road manners, both wet and dry. Minimal road noise. Haven't really tested them offroad yet.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:36 pm

You might look into the goodyear wrangler silent armors. Had those on my old jeep and they were a great AT tire in both P and LT ratings. As already stated, the LTs are usually heavier because of the extra belts. That usually means you will sacrifice MPGs, however they are better at resisting punctures etc. The SAs are a great tire in the first place against road debris/punctures so with how you describe your use, I think the P rated silent armors would be a good fit for you.

Edit: I'll probably buy those when I get new tires for my pathfinder. While the duratracs have been nice, I have had a decrease in MPGs with them and my wife drives the crap out of my Pathfinder.
Last edited by volvite on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:43 pm

I really like the SA's too. If my duties were more on road, I would have gone with them, and in fact I believe they're obviously more puncture resistant than my DT's with the kevlar.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 am

I've had both as well. The Duratracs I'm running now are LT in a C load range. Haven't noticed any hit to the mileage at all, but they really aren't much heavier than a P rated tire. I usually have mine aired up to about 38-40 psi. I'd call them a very soft tire, although they are getting fairly loud now that I've worn off most of the tread.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:37 am

Great stuff guys, thanks! I'll look into the options you mention. Too many choices leads to paralysis by overanalysis when it comes to spending $1000...Good job I've got 6 weeks before the trip!

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 pm

No one likes to spend time changing a tire but having “Road Hazard” insurance may be a wise choice in your situation. I used to think it was a waste of money until I poked a hole in a $200 sidewall. Covers those nasty nails that somehow find their way into the tires, too.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Agreed - road hazard is the only enhanced warranty type deal I buy on anything. Everything else it's a rip off in my opinion, but tires are different.

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:39 pm

I have a set of General AT2's and do some light off roading and also driving in the snow. So far, they have not let me down. Shortly after getting the, I came upon a cop that was stuck up a decent hill in a snow bank in someone's driveway. There was already snow packed on the driveway and his car was a full size crown vic, I had no problem pulling him out. didn't even spin the tires at all that I noticed. Didn't notice the Slip light coming on. They are P rated.

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:18 pm

I have had Cooper AT3 and GY wranglers. Both have been good tires. The coopers are a little more aggressive and have done well off-road. I spend 99% of the time on pavement and both have been good tires for snow and dirt.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Well, thanks for the feedback. The deed is finally done, went with a set of Silent Armor in the end. I must say they look great and ride pretty well (on all of 10 miles or so since this morning...). Naturally, I get them installed the day after winter pays its brief annual visit to southern NM...missed the snow by 24 hours and of course it's all gone now! Doh.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Nice tires. Let us know later how they handle on your pathfinder. While they might work good on one vehicle, they might not do as well on another vehicle.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:41 pm

leadpig wrote:Well, thanks for the feedback. The deed is finally done, went with a set of Silent Armor in the end. I must say they look great and ride pretty well (on all of 10 miles or so since this morning...). Naturally, I get them installed the day after winter pays its brief annual visit to southern NM...missed the snow by 24 hours and of course it's all gone now! Doh.
Same thing happened to me last year. My duratracs came in about a week late, and before that, on my Maxima, the tires showed up the day OF the storm. This is of course after I needed to hitch a ride because the summer tires on the Maxima were no match for the snow.

Anyhow, come up north a few hours, plenty of it left here.

I really like the look and reviews on the GYSA's. Would like to hear how they do.

Dim.

Postby Dim. » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:54 am

leadpig wrote:The deed is finally done, went with a set of Silent Armor in the end.
Did you go with P or LT at the end?
I am at the same dilemma right now. I tow a boat (aprox. 2500lb) sometimes with 4 people in the car and camping stuff in the cargo. In 3 year time I got 3 punctures in the rear tires. Now I am scratching my head trying to figure out if LT265/70R17 would be a better choice over OEM P265/65R17 long trails for me ...

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”