New .signature, new mods!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

SoTex

Postby SoTex » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:49 am

Brand new to this site and am waiting for my '05 to arrive. Bought it at a Manheim auction.

Anyway, I thought I'd give my $0.02 regarding Garmin's bluetooth. I have a Blackberry Curve and a Garmin with Bluetooth. I have been happy with the Garmin for nav, but not as a bluetooth device. The connection is inconsistent and when the connection is there I get complaints from those on the other end that it sounds terrible with a loud echo. I've disabled the bluetooth on the Garmin and will switch it to the Path once it gets here. I'll then get a different model for my company car.

Ok, so that was more like my $0.03.

Nice site, btw.

rodg

Postby rodg » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:41 pm

Here is the step by step installation that I found...

http://thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php ... uvi&page=1

I ordered my navigation housing from enissanparts.com for $100.00 + $12.95 shipping.

markspath

Postby markspath » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:13 pm

bbermann wrote:With the increased importance on hands free cell phone use, I am strongly looking at the Bluetooth capability of these Garmins for part of my justification. I just need a little push to get me over.

I would love to hear your thoughts as to how these devices perform in conjuction with your mobile phone as far as receiving calls, making calls as well as sound quality or anything else of relevance.

Thank you very much.
A late follow-up to this. First of all the microphone built-in to the Garmin 760 picks up cabin and road noise better than my voice. People on the other end of phone conversations were constantly complaining that they had trouble hearing me. I purchased and installed the Garmin external microphone accessory to try and overcome this issue, but the microphone's long wire -- necessary to route it through the headliner, down the a-pillar and across the dash to GPS -- acted as an antenna to pick-up all the engine and electronics interference, causing a loud whine that overrode any conversations.

On top of this, using the FM transmitter in the 760 to send audio to my car stereo is inconsistent at best. The Pathfinder's FM antenna is built into the rear-side windows and the 760 barely has enough output power to be received adequately on the one available FM frequency in my area. Any time I come near another vehicle, home or business where a Sirius satellite radio receiver was in use, the Sirius unit would override my 760's FM broadcast, even from a distance of 200 yards.

Finally, I am uncomfortable having my cell phone conversations broadcast across public FM frequencies, where anyone nearby could potentially tune-in and eavesdrop.

As a result of the above I switched back to using a Bluetooth headset and disabled the Garmin's Bluetooth features.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”