Cold Temps Impact on Center Stack Display

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

booradley

Cold Temps Impact on Center Stack Display

Postby booradley » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:46 pm

My 2012 sits outside and the temps were down into the 20's. Today when I started the vehicle, the center radio and temperature display was barely visible. Tried cranking day and night setting to the max and again, barely visible? Anyone else have that issue in cold weather? After an hour, I got it to light up a bit more and slowly it became brighter, but not as bright as when the truck was in warmer weather. Any idea's out there.
My recent issue with a bad TPS in one wheel, had the tire pressure indicator flashing and then steady, found one bad sensor. My dealer, believe it or not did not have a TPS unit in stock? Don't various Nissan vehicle share sensors?
Thanks

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Yeah, my display does the same thing in the cold. It takes a bit to warm up and get bright.

Not sure about the tire pressure monitor.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 am

It's typical for it to be dim for awhile but an hour seems extreme. this is the fifth vehicle I've owned with a large LCD and they're always dim for awhile but once the interior warms up it usually brightens. It's never so dim I can't see it either unless the sun is also washing it out.

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 pm

When outside temperauture dropped below -30C, the dispaly didnt show anything. After few minutes, when inetrior temp raised, it started to work normaly.
I have not seen this with temperatures -25C or higher

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Taavi wrote:When outside temperauture dropped below -30C, the dispaly didnt show anything. After few minutes, when inetrior temp raised, it started to work normaly. I have not seen this with temperatures -25C or higher
I'd say you are outside the normal conditions for these. I've never had mine below -15C so....i'm out.

booradley

LCD Center Display

Postby booradley » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Since my wife's BMW X1 does not have issues with cold weather impacting the display, including the back up camera, I spoke to the Service Manager at my Nissan Store. He tells me some 2013's have the same issue of dim display. He tells me "Nissan is working on it".
I work P/T for the dealer doing new car swaps, so each dealer I go to I check in with the Service Dept to see their take on it, and either to claim ignorance to the issue or they claim, "Nissan is work in it".
So I wrote a letter to Nissan Customer Service to see their take on the problem, that was about 10 days ago, no reply. They must be too busy working on the LCD screen issue. I really do not care about the radio/heat control display, it is the dim back up camera screen, that is a safety issue.
We shall see.

booradley

Customer Service Never Heard of this Issue

Postby booradley » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:00 pm

After speaking with my dealer, who claims "Nissan is aware and working on it". I wrote Nissan a letter and got a call from Customer Service, and they said, "They never heard of an issue of dimming LCD display in cold temps"!
They called the dealer and the Service Manager said, "No one ever complained to me about a dim center display in cold weather". This is like a Vaudeville Act!!!
Customer Service wants me to take my Pathfinder into the dealer so he can document the dim display.
Service Manager tells me two days ago, the Techs called him and they never heard of this issue before, in the lives!!! So when its cold I will leave the truck overnight so he can see "Nothing" at the first start up and when he runs the heater it will slowly come alive.
"The Wizard" runs a site on the net and he repairs LCD LED dash displays. He said it may be a issue with a small electronic component. Since this did not happen last winter, I think something is beginning to fail. Thanks

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:49 pm

If it makes you feel better, the screens in Mercedes, BMWs and Toyotas do the same thing (all the cars in my family). In fact, the Toyota is only about a month old and the screen starts out so dim that you almost can't see it.

I'm pretty sure this is the nature of the screen the same way CFL bulbs take a while to warm up when they're cold.

Return to “R51 Electrical”