my car squeals on start up from here:

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

cabinpath

my car squeals on start up from here:

Postby cabinpath » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:30 am

I am not sure what part is that and what do I need to do about it?

When I start the car it squeals really bad until the car warms up (5-8 min) then it gets silent.

Also, I noticed this little hit done to the body by the former owner. How do I fix it so it doesn't rust through?

HLEGuitars

Postby HLEGuitars » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:07 am

That, my friend, is the power steering pump..

have you checked your fluid level?

However.. I would think that the squealing is more likely to be coming from the tensioner pulley which is just to the right of it, just out of sight under the intake snorkel in the picture.

if it is.. its not an expensive part and not too hard to change...

new belt and a new tensioner and you should be good to go.

As for the rust..

get some degreaser solvent, like Napth or "prep all"..

Sand the area with 120 grit sand paper and finish with 400 grit until all the rust is gone then clean it really good with the solvent...

as soon as the solvent is dry.. hit it with primer let that dry a bit and hit it with a matching color of one step car paint..

you'll want to mask of the surrounding area or be prepared for an overspray nightmare

in that area and that small of a spot.. i could use rattle cans and make it almost unnoticeable.. but you need to "feather the edge" of the new paint, and wetsand and buff the transition....

if you feel like going that far.. i'll post the complete process

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:48 pm

There's a TSB for belt noise on start up on the 05-08 R51's with the VQ40DE. There's a countermeasure tensioner and serpentine belt (which is a hair shorter) to address the issue. The TSB #NTB06-072B instructs to replace the following:

Belt P/N: 11720-EA200
Auto tensioner: 11955-EA20A

It also instructs to check the P/S pump alignment and adjust the bracket, as necessary. It sounds like this could be your problem.

I had the same squeak on my 06 and had the dealer do it under a 2-month warranty as I bought the vehicle used. No problems ever since. On the aftermarket, the sell the two parts and call it a "serpentine enhancement kit."

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:11 am

the rust should be addressed at a body shop before it travels and gets worst.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”