Looking to be a Pathy owner, NEED ADVICE.

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

blokestr

Looking to be a Pathy owner, NEED ADVICE.

Postby blokestr » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:11 pm

I am seriously looking at purchasing a 2006 Pathfinder SE, however I have read consumer reviews on edmunds.com and I am concerned about the reliability of the Pathy, are these reviews just not accurate? I have owned Nissans in the past with very few issues, 1991 240sx,1993 240sx ,1995 maxima and 1998 frontier 4x4.

I appreciate any advice.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Well you will find this forum to be a good resource. The most notorious problem with these Pathfinders is the failure of the transmission fluid cooler inside the radiator. It will cause the transmission fluid to be contaminated with engine coolant and eventually destroy the transmission. The best way to prevent this from happening is to bypass this cooler. How many miles are on the pathfinder you're looking at? It might be worth considering purchasing an extended warranty. I like my Pathfinder though it's had its share of problems. I don't know if I will buy another one but I definitely don't regret purchasing mine. See my signature for some other common problems. Let us know what you decide.

blokestr

Postby blokestr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:09 am

Yes I have read about the transmission problem and would be comfortable swapping the lines over.
One vehicle i'm looking at has 63k miles and the other has 47k miles on it.
My fear is that the radiator issue has previously happened and I wouldn't know it,

The alternative vehicle is a 07 TOYOTA 4 runner with 82k miles.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:16 am

I was also considering a 4runner before I purchased my pathfinder. I just couldn't rationalize spending thousands more on a pathfinder. Definitely check out the transmission dipstick when you go to test drive.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”