rough idling on my wife's brand new 2012 Pathfinder

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

brian anderson

rough idling on my wife's brand new 2012 Pathfinder

Postby brian anderson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:02 am

...finding that the idling is vibrating at idle around 700rpm...what is the RPM idle supposed to be at? Dealership has looked at the problem and said nothing is apparent and claims that a powerful engine usually does that....I used to own a FORD F-350 VAN TRITON V8 that didn't tremble like that at idle..,.so I'm not so sure about his claim. for such a quality vehicle and at that price that engine should be almost unnoticeable at idle as is my own brand new VERSA 2012. Also on the PATHFINDER we had a COMPUSTAR PRO remote installed and when we start the Pathfinder's engine remotely and try to enter the vehicle by the driver's door, the engine stops! but this doesn't happen with the other doors. Dealership says it's a security feature....?????? I'm not having this problem with my VERSA. Thanks to all who reply.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:39 am

also similar issue

my 2008 recently started doing that only in the morning. if the press the gas once and release, it goes back to normal.

brian anderson

on an older vehicle I would say it would be normal...

Postby brian anderson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:45 am

...but this problem existed since we bought it. If I was a qualified mechanic i would think something is up with FUEL/AIR mix and/or ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEM adjustment? Thanks for responding.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 am

possible.

i'll clean the MAF sensor and see if it goes away. will let you know.

brian anderson

clean a sensor on a 2 week old vehicle?

Postby brian anderson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 am

...fresh out of the showroom. Thanks for responding but I think the problem may be more than something that has fouled up.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:22 pm

The idle is a normal issue that I have on my 2011 as well. I went to the dealership and got the same answer "Normal in the Pathfinder and the Armada" is what he said. I have read in many blogs that other folks with Pathy's have the same issue. Mine started after 1500 miles. So I had a very good friend of mine and trusted mechanic look at it and he gave me the following answer; the crank shafts are made within certain tolerances and sometimes they end up on the high side of that tolerance. They can cause this kind of vibration but still not affect the life of the engine. Sounds reasonable.

When the vibration occurs you can clearly see the belt tensioner bouncing more than usual, which indicates something mechanical is causing it. My vibration occurs after the idle drops from 750 down to 600 after idling at stop for 20 to 30 seconds. Sometimes it helps to pump the gas pedal lightly and it goes away. I don't like it but I think I can live with it.

brian anderson

thanks for responding hfrez

Postby brian anderson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:49 am

seems like a logical answer. I did notice that if I raise the idling very slightly, as nudging the pedal, the vibration is completely gone.

Also on the PATHFINDER we had a COMPUSTAR PRO remote installed and when we start the Pathfinder's engine remotely and try to enter the vehicle by the driver's door, the engine stops! but this doesn't happen with the other doors. Dealership says it's a security feature....?????? I'm not having this problem with my VERSA. Thanks to all who reply.

FLiPMaRC

Re: thanks for responding hfrez

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 am

brian anderson wrote:Also on the PATHFINDER we had a COMPUSTAR PRO remote installed and when we start the Pathfinder's engine remotely and try to enter the vehicle by the driver's door, the engine stops! but this doesn't happen with the other doors. Dealership says it's a security feature....?????? I'm not having this problem with my VERSA. Thanks to all who reply.
That's not right. The remote starter shouldn't shut down the engine when you open any door. Every car with a remote starter that I've had experience with does not shut down like that :lol: It should only shut down when you press on the brake pedal without inserting the key. That's stupid of the dealership to think it's a security feature :roll:

Was the remote starter installed by the dealer?

brian anderson

Thanks FlipMaRC

Postby brian anderson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 am

I suspect it's a dealership installation problem and i will force the issue...it really doesn't make sense. thanks for your feedback...I tried contacting COMPUSTAR PRO weeks ago and still haven't had a response.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”