New owner. Few questions

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

Cruz

New owner. Few questions

Postby Cruz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:25 am

Hello! First off I just bought a 2005 4.0L SE with 84,xxx on the odo. It was a one owner and had an extremely clean car fax. I checked all the fluids before purchase and everything checked out, including the ATF fluid. It was the color it was supposed to be and no milky coloring at all so I did the bypass the night I got it to ease my mind. The car runs perfect and smooth and is extremely clean but there is one thing that is kinda bugging me a little. The oil pressure gauge. I have read on here that the 05 pathfinders have an actual real time gauge as where in 06+ they have a dummy gauge that is always in the middle and only goes down of there is a significant lose of pressure. So my questions is, how much should the real time gauge fluctuate? On the gauge it only reads L and H and there is two lines next to the L and two lines next to the H, I'm guessing the spot in between the lines is the safe zone. So when started cold the pressure immediately goes to the middle and stays there until warm. After the engine is warm the pressure only lowers at idle but it never goes past the fist line before the L. It always stays in the "safe zone" and there has been no check oil light or check engine light that has come on. The car doesn't run rough when at idle and as soon as you take off the pressure is right back in the middle until I come to idle again. In our opinion does it sound normal?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:36 am

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you found a nice truck in good shape. As for the oil pressure switch, for my peace of mind, I'd replace the oil switch to ensure that the readings are correct. Not too expensive or difficult to replace. Just my 2 cents.

Cruz

Postby Cruz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 am

Thank volvite. When you are saying oil pressure switch are you referring to the gauge or what part in specific. If you had a part number that would be awesome as well. Also I planned on going to get the pressure checked manually but do you think, from what I described, it sounds ok to drive till then?

Cruz

Postby Cruz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:12 am

Nvm! I found one online for around 50$. I will start there and hope that fixes it

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Make sure you are using the correct switch. If I remember correctly, your 05 will have a 3 wire switch, while the newer versions that have the dummy switch is only 2 wires. Also, they are not interchangeable.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: New owner. Few questions

Postby eieio » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Cruz wrote:Hello! First off I just bought a 2005 4.0L SE with 84,xxx on the odo. It was a one owner and had an extremely clean car fax. I checked all the fluids before purchase and everything checked out, including the ATF fluid. It was the color it was supposed to be and no milky coloring at all so I did the bypass the night I got it to ease my mind. The car runs perfect and smooth and is extremely clean but there is one thing that is kinda bugging me a little. The oil pressure gauge. I have read on here that the 05 pathfinders have an actual real time gauge as where in 06+ they have a dummy gauge that is always in the middle and only goes down of there is a significant lose of pressure. So my questions is, how much should the real time gauge fluctuate? On the gauge it only reads L and H and there is two lines next to the L and two lines next to the H, I'm guessing the spot in between the lines is the safe zone. So when started cold the pressure immediately goes to the middle and stays there until warm. After the engine is warm the pressure only lowers at idle but it never goes past the fist line before the L. It always stays in the "safe zone" and there has been no check oil light or check engine light that has come on. The car doesn't run rough when at idle and as soon as you take off the pressure is right back in the middle until I come to idle again. In our opinion does it sound normal?
this is normal, save your $$$
my guage needle, when warm, deflects from low to high only as far as the little "pitcher" symbol on the guage face

Cruz

Postby Cruz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Eieio,
Thanks for the info, and may I ask what you mean by the little "pitcher" symbol?

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:12 am

welcome. when you change the switch be ready for a big mess from oil pouring from the swich location. so be ready to catch and clean up the mess.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:36 am

I replaced mine on my 05. It is the 3-pin variety, non-dummy version.

Now, when I am at idle and RPM are below 750, the oil light turns on, even though my oil pressure is fine. I have had it tested, and there has been no other indications of low oil pressure.

I'm sure it has to do with the calibration of the sensor, as I did replace with an aftermarket part from Rock Auto.

t

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”