Extended Warranty

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

rchjr

Extended Warranty

Postby rchjr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi there fellow nissan owners, I am new here and was not sure where to post this. I just bought a 2007 pathfinder off road and was talked into a extended warranty. Anyone here have any feed back at all on these? I notice it does not cover the cross contamination of radiator coolant into tranny. The name of he company is Select. I have 30 days which to cancel. The pathfinder I bought showed on the car fax that the radiator and transmission was replaced at around 48 k miles. I plan on doing the bypass that I have read about in other forums. Just not sure if I made the right decision for an extra $2100.00 for the extended warranty.

Any info on this would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rchjr

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:16 pm

$2100 is a lot of money. Most extended warranties aren't worth it and Consumer Reports usually doesn't recommend them as well. I used to be a mechanical inspector for a number of automotive warranty insurance companies and I can tell you that you need to read the fine print and understand what the warranty actually covers. For example, some policies won't cover seal failures and subsequent damage caused by seal failure. If a transmission has bad seals causing it to not shift properly, the claim will be denied. Furthermore, the warranty company will require the shop to teardown the transmission for inspection and, if the claim is denied, the policy owner (meaning "you") will be responsible for the diagnostics and teardown costs of the transmission. You will still have to fork out the money to have the trans replaced or rebuilt on top of those costs. If the seal leaks on a transfer case and it runs low, causing damage, claim will be denied. Same goes for diffs, brake systems, power steering systems, etc. Some policies do cover seals and subsequent damage, so you need to know the specifics of your contract. One of the good ideas the Consumer Reports has is to take the monthly payment one would pay for an extended warranty and put it into a bank savings account set up just for future auto repairs. This way, you get interest on the money and if you luck out and have no major repairs, you still get to keep the money rather than lose it.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Welcome to the forum.

This topic was covered in the following thread:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... t=warranty

I don't post this as an sly way of saying to search the forum. To the contrary, I think it is a lengthy thread with a variety of opinions that you might find helpful and more quickly get your question answered rather than waiting for responses to trickle in over the weeks ahead.

rchjr

Postby rchjr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Smj999smj: Thanks for the response, I did notice the fine print and it raised a red flag. Especially the " internal lubricated parts " for the tranny. That spoke volumes for the contaminated potential problem inherent with nissan in that year frame. It would not be covered!

Zen_Master; Thank you for that link, it helped me make up my mind that it was not a good idea for me. I have owned a 96 Pathfinder for 16 years prior to this and did a lot of the work on it with a friend who is a mechanic. If it was a manufacturer's warranty they offered me I would have thought about it a little harder, but it wasn't.

Thanks again guys!

Rchjr

Return to “General Automotive”