What do all these lights on the dash mean?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Ishmael_Samson

What do all these lights on the dash mean?

Postby Ishmael_Samson » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:57 pm

I started up my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE today and three lights came on and stayed on. The a/t oil temp, brake, and battery lights. I've asked a couple people and they said it's probably something electrical. I checked the tranny fluid and brake fluid and they were fine. I checked the oil, it was low, I added more but none of the lights went off. I checked the fuses and they were fine. I went to Autozone and got the battery, alternator, and starter checked and they were all apparently ok. Does anyone know what would cause all three lights to come on at the same time? It does have high mileage, about 221k.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Usually when that occurs, it's a charging system issue. Did they test it with loads "on?" If the charging system is charging properly, I would have all systems checked for codes (engine, bcm, integrated meter assy., etc.). This would need to be done by a scantool, not the code reader used by parts stores like Autozone.

Ishmael_Samson

Postby Ishmael_Samson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:08 pm

It was the alternator, thanks.

Return to “General Automotive”