2010 pathfinder, thinking of doing the hydrogen kit for +mpg

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

rduque41

2010 pathfinder, thinking of doing the hydrogen kit for +mpg

Postby rduque41 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 am

hey i am looking into getting the hydrogen(hho) kit for my new 2010 pathfinder se.

has anyone done this?
can they recommend any kits?

Obviously trying to keep my warranty so being able to remove it would be necessary.

thx in advance!

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:40 am

sounds like a scam i saw a few years ago on dateline. the procduct they were selling said it increased the mpg by 60 percent and it was found out that it did absolutely nothing. here is the link :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6SB2Nq_ ... 1&index=22

rduque41

Postby rduque41 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:49 am

not sure about that guy or that product..but my friend at work did it and he got about +8mpg on his truck.. until he messed with it and then it stopped working.
he didnt buy any crazy 1000kit, just had used the simple electrolysis of water to create hydrogen and have it go into the intake.

i just wanted to know if anyone on here had done it with a pathfinder(2010 if possible) and if there was anything else that needed to be done.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:35 pm

I looked into it back when gas was $4.00 a gallon, found alot of different ways of doing it on the internet with alot of research, there is a HHO forum around somewhere, google it, I can't remember the name exactly. I saved alot of different designs that you can make yourself, they're fairly simple and you can get all the components at a hardware store. If you want any let me know. Lots of people out there that swear by them.

rduque41

Postby rduque41 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:36 pm

ya if you can email me them i would appreciate it. i'll pm u my email.
im just hoping it doesnt mess anything up with the o2 sensor and throw a check engine light or something...especially since its brand new.

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:21 pm

A bit old topic, but maybe interesting.

I just installed HHO kit on my 2006 Pathy (2.5 dCi diesel) and the results are here:
- absolutely no mpg increase
- approx. 10% increase in power (HP) and torque (Nm)
- white steam/fog/smoke from tailpipe when engine is cold
- a bit smoother running diesel, but that might be my perception

I put a lot of research into HHO assembly design, so I purchased quite an inexpensive dry HHO cell generator, a bigger water reservoir than recommended (recommended was 1,2 liter, I bought 3 liter), an improved bubbler and dryer and a bunch of one-way check valves.

The main reason I bought bigger water tank is not in the quantity of water/electrolyte I want to carry around, but in extra space on top of reservoir. I still put only 1-1,5 liters inside, but I have plenty of room inside reservoir on top, so I put quite a lot of stainless-steel wool in the top 1/4 of reservoir. That's because I don't want HHO foam, bubbles and electrolyte to splash the output tube on every bump I drive.

Bubbler was also redesigned by me. First off, I used stainless-steel wool again on top of bubbler to prevent output hose splashing, and fine drilled input hose to produce a large quantity of small bubbles instead of big ones.
Inside I used 1/3 Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) mixed with 2/3 of water to prevent freezing.

At first I had problems with electrolyte filling my hose from main reservoir to the bubbler, but I solved this by installling bigger (3 liters) reservoir.

The second problem was backflow from bubbler to main reservoir when whole system was cooling town from each driving. Vacuum created by cooling down sucked the fluid from bubbler back to reservoir.
I first tried by installling one-way valve between them, but that did not help - obviously vacuum was too strong.
The fix was installing a one-way release valve on tube from main reservoir just before the bubbler, with one end connected to the tube and the other in the air. I turned it so it can suck-in, but cannot blow out. Right the opposite of blow valve. So when system is cooling down, both the bubbler and main reservoir can suck fresh air from outside without fluid flowing from one to another.

HHO part of the system produced a lot of HHO gas, it was clean of vapours (important!) and I noticed instant increase in engine power. It was also clearly indicated on my OBD2 measuring equipment (174 HP raised up to 192 HP). But mileage sticked to exact value of prevoius - no change.

I am playing around now with potentiometers connected to MAF sensor, which definitelly does regulate engine power from 100% down to unusable where I can hardly make 2500 revs. I tried let it settle down with a value, where power decrease is not perceptable, but still no mpg change.

Quite a dissapointment, but I am not finished with the project. Will try to fine tune it with some help of my tuning guyz and report back if any change.

Return to “General Automotive”