Complete Breakdown - Any ideas?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

rlind

Complete Breakdown - Any ideas?

Postby rlind » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:53 am

During a snowstorm this weekend, I was parked in a snowy lot for a couple hours. When I started it back up (2005 Pathfinder), pretty much every warning light came on: "Service Engine Soon", "Brake", the battery light. I was alarmed but the car still seemed to be running ok. I put the car in reverse, and then quickly found out that the powersteering wasn't working either. It was like a weight-lifting exercise to try to turn the wheel.

I started driving down the highway at about 30 mph. After about 5 miles, the car stopped accelerating. I stopped on the side of the road. If I put it in Drive, it would lurch forward slowly the way it normally does. But applying the gas pedal had no effect. So I sat on the side of the road calling AAA, and about 2 minutes later, the motor died and wouldn't restart. I just put a new battery in it about 9 months ago.

Suffice to say, I'm pretty scared about what could be the issue(s). Anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Complete Breakdown - Any ideas?

Postby disallow » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:32 pm

rlind wrote:During a snowstorm this weekend, I was parked in a snowy lot for a couple hours. When I started it back up (2005 Pathfinder), pretty much every warning light came on: "Service Engine Soon", "Brake", the battery light. I was alarmed but the car still seemed to be running ok. I put the car in reverse, and then quickly found out that the powersteering wasn't working either. It was like a weight-lifting exercise to try to turn the wheel.

I started driving down the highway at about 30 mph. After about 5 miles, the car stopped accelerating. I stopped on the side of the road. If I put it in Drive, it would lurch forward slowly the way it normally does. But applying the gas pedal had no effect. So I sat on the side of the road calling AAA, and about 2 minutes later, the motor died and wouldn't restart. I just put a new battery in it about 9 months ago.

Suffice to say, I'm pretty scared about what could be the issue(s). Anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like your serpentine belt either snapped or jumped off of the pulleys. You need a new one, and while your at it you should check the tensioner.

Return to “General Automotive”